Chapter 7

Once we arrived back at our home, the ladies thanked us and left whence they came.

We changed and then gathered for dinner.

"Lord Dazaron has instructed that I bring you to the library." A messenger of my father said with a slight bow.

We all exchanged glances. Had something happened when we were gone? Father's tenant led us through quiet halls. I looked over at Akyto. He noticed my glare.

What happened? I mouthed to him. He shrugged.

The tenant knocked on the library door.

"You may enter." Father's stern voice boomed.

We entered the room.

Father sat in his chair twiddling his thumbs. Immediately I realized something was wrong. Father only twiddled his thumbs when we had done something; more specifically, when I had done something wrong.

Dalani walked in after us, some book still in her hands. Would she ever take a break and go outside? Her skin was ghost white and her body was frail.

"Since your mother passed, I have done everything in my power to raise you all to become respectful, courteous adults." How could father seriously think that of himself, when all he's done is criticize without moving from his office chair? "So you must realize how shocked I was to find out from Teren, that one of my own was keeping secrets from me." He turned his head to me.

My stomach dropped. Father had found out, by none other than Teren?

I turned my gaze on Teren. How could he? We were friends. He could have warned me. He could have talked to me about it, but instead, he decided to tell father? Teren shifted uncomfortably under my unforgiving glare.

"Do not dare disrespect Teren, young lady. I hope you realize what you have done. Not only have you betrayed our trust, but you have involved a villager, who will have to be punished along with you."

"No! Please. I told him that you agreed to it. I beg you, father, please, he has done nothing wrong. I deserve the blame!"

"That you do." Lord Dazaron spoke strictly. "What possessed you to seek sword fighting? You are not even supposed to leave the grounds without one of your brothers accompanying you."

Lord Dazaron sighed.

"From now on you will not leave our grounds, at all."

"What?" He couldn't possibly ask that of me?

"That means you will never visit the village again. You will stay here and study with Dalani." Dalani rolled her eyes, unhappy with the news.

"Father, this is unreasonable! You can't take away my freedom."

"I can, and until you put aside this stupid dream of becoming a soldier, it will stay that way!"

Tears streamed down my cheeks, and my heart pounded. I ran out, leaving the room of judging eyes behind.

"Emilea, come back right now!" My father's voice boomed across the empty marble halls.

This wasn't fair. There was no way I could live like that, like Dalani. Father knew how much I loved the village and exploring. Taking that away was like tearing out part of myself. I ran down the stairs, down the hallway, and out the door. My heart told me to run, so I did. Not even bothering to saddle my horse, Polly, I rode on her bareback through the grassy fields. The twirling winds that circled us echoed with the voices of my brothers. If they found us, I would surely be caged up. Thankfully I knew of a place where Polly and I could hide until I figured out a plan.