Chapter 5

After taking a bath and drying up, I went to look for Teren, hoping that he would finally be free. As I walked through the halls, I could hear his voice echo among others coming from the library. Before I could open the door, one of my father's servants stopped me.

"Your father has asked not to be bothered until he is done discussing matters."

"Is Teren in there as well?"

"Ah yes, he was looking for you earlier. He asked me to tell you that as soon as he is done, he will meet you in the garden."

"Thank you." Just the thought of spending time alone with Teren gave me chills. It was unfortunate that I was not around when he had wanted me; however, I wasn't going to disappear on him this time. I would wait for him on the same bench in the garden where we had met. To be honest, I was surprised that he wanted to see me alone. Since the time we first met he had always shown a brotherly bond to my other brothers and me, not that it mattered.

I sat and looked up.

The night sky was just as lit up as the evening I first met him. Every noise made me more nervous, but as the night carried on that disappeared. I felt my eyes growing heavy as the wait seemed to drag out longer and longer. At least the stars were there to comfort me.

The next thing I knew I was opening my eyes to the sound of my tenant's voice.

"Miss Emilea, what are you doing out here this late?" My private tenant, Merita, asked me.

I mumbled. No real words forming.

"Let's get you to bed." She walked me back inside. I noticed a slit of light coming from the library.

"Give me one moment." I whispered. Merita waited where she stood.

I sleepily made my way to the room.

"Emilea, what are you doing up so late?" Father's voice boomed, causing me to jump.

"I was umm.." What was I doing again? I was so tired I could barely think. I stood there for a couple seconds until I remembered. "I was looking for Teren."

"He went to his quarters a while ago. You will see him tomorrow, Emilea." He went back to reading. I left and let Merita guide me back to my quarters.

Had he decided that it was just too late to meet, and forgotten to tell me? Or did he find me asleep and didn't want to wake me? I can't believe that I had missed him once again; but my father was right, I would see him tomorrow. Disappointed, yet too tired to think, I went to bed, waiting to dream of the day I wish I had.

~

I woke up in the morning to a knock on my door.

"Come in," I moaned tiredly.

"I do apologize, miss, but you have slept past sunrise and your father requested that I wake you."

I felt rather stiff from falling asleep on the bench last night.

I heard distant laughter coming from outside my window. Peeking out, I spotted my brothers Yestin and Akyto with Teren. They headed to the archery range. I could hear Yestin boasting on how he had beaten Akyto in their last archery battle, while Akyto jokingly denied it.

"Should I prepare your archery garments?"

"Yes."

She giggled at my immediate response.

"Alright, Merita. What is it?" I asked her.

"You do not hide it well, miss."

"Hide what well?"