Chapter 4

Quickly I snuck into the woods. After a short walk, I arrived. I passed through the crowd to reach the farthest edge of the village, where Debynn worked as a swordsmith.

I shouted over to him. He seemed to be in the process of wielding another greatsword. I walked up cautiously, trying not to spook him.

"Hey!" I shouted over the grinding metal. He jumped.

"Emilea! I was not expecting you today."

"Well, I felt like you might be lonely." He had on some work clothes that were at the moment covered in dust and burnt spots. I could tell that he had had a busy day.

"I came last week, but found out from the Ms. Hidey, the seamstress, you were on a mission?"

He laughed to himself. "A mission huh? I guess one could call it that." I was a little confused and was curious to know more; but if he had the intent of sharing he would have. So I did not press further.

"Let me finish up, and I will meet you at our usual spot under the cherry blossom tree." I nodded and headed towards the area.

I sat down in the field's tall grass and leaned against the tree's trunk. The breeze made the wheat grass dance around me. I could hear nearby birds chirp a sweet melody and I could smell the aromas of freshly made bread from the distant village. I tuned out the distant noises from the town of Aldan and concentrated on what was more important. Like the wild forest squirrel climbing a tree or the rush of water from a nearby stream. I had learned from Debynn that I had to be aware of everything. If I knew each and every sound in nature, I would be able to pick out the slightest change. Which in the end could save my life.

I closed my eyes to focus harder.

I took a deep breath in through my mouth and released it. I repeated this.

In slowly, out slowly, until my heart beat joined the rest of the nature's rhythms. The past couple sessions were about how to use my senses in times of danger. Apparently, by just listening to nature you could tell many things. For example, one slightest change could mean the approach of an enemy.

The birds grew quiet and there was a soft squish of the grass.

I tumbled to my right, spinning around. A wooden sword dug into the soil where I sat a moment ago. Jumping to my feet, I prepared myself for the next attack. I thought forward. Since the sword was down the next attack would probably be directed towards the middle of my chest. I took a guess and stepped back. The sword missed. I prepared myself for the next move, but none came.

"Good. Now, arm yourself." Debynn threw another wooden sword towards me. For a while we sparred. However, little by little I realized what Debynn was doing. Though as hard as I was working, all he was doing was blocking my attacks. Debynn was making no effort to attack back. I stopped him.

"Why are you going easy on me? And why are we still using wooden swords?"

"Emilea, patience. I have my reasons."

"Like what?"

"Well most importantly, if you were to get injured, who do you think would be responsible? I'm sure your father wouldn't be pleased." I tried to argue, but he silenced me. "Also, you do not become a great swordsman in one day. It takes months and months of practice."

This was frustrating. I didn't want him to go easy on me.

Again I attacked and just like before Debynn stayed on defense. So I picked up the pace and threw in more of my strength with each hit. Surprisingly it was harder to aim correctly this way. After a few minutes Debynn stopped me.

"Lady Emilea. There are more things than just swinging your sword around that makes a swordsman. Strength, leadership, knowing when to attack and when to retreat. All of these things make or break a fighter." I contemplated his words. "In time, when I find that you are ready, we will switch to real swords."

I decided to give up arguing at this point.

"Who was your master?" I asked. Debynn stopped.

"A man named Abernan."

"That's a different name." I thought aloud.

"Not so weird for a druid." He crossed his arms.

"A druid?" Aren't they all extinct?"

Debynn chuckled. He sat down in the grass. I went over and sat next to him.

"There is a village, North of Tith, in the mountains. That is where the remaining Druids live in secret. You must tell no one about it."

I nodded.

"Also, if anything happens to me, go there."

"If anything happens?" What was he referring to?

He waved his hand back and forth.

"Nothing specific. Pretend I didn't mention it."

Debynn looked up into the sky. His face looked content but his gaze gave it away. His mind was somewhere very far away. I felt that he was avoiding telling me something important.