Chapter 17

I woke up to a commotion outside the tent. I looked over to where Beatra slept; she seemed to be back in bed. I got dressed and went outside to see what was going on. Palleas stood there talking to a boy.

"Ezailia! Excuse me." He pushed the groggy boy aside. "I've been trying to get to you. I didn't see you or Beatra at breakfast, so I got worried."

"I am fine. I must have overslept." I explained.

He nodded then stopped. "Oh I almost forgot! Trogan snuck off someplace, last night. I saw him leave his post."

Palleas had seen too.

"I know."

He tilted his head at me.

"You saw too?"

"Well, Beatra disappeared too," I whispered. "They met up-"

Palleas' eyes widened. He held out his hand to stop me, took me by my hand and led me through the camp until we reach Carther and the others.

"Tell them," Palleas demanded.

"Beatra met up with Trogan last night."

"How do you know?" Carther asked me.

"Because I followed her."

Kelrith and Palleas shook their heads.

"That's not a smart idea." Bargonaan scolded.

"Oh hush, old man!" Carther glared.

I told them what I saw and heard. They all seemed to think for a minute.

"I knew she wasn't to be trusted," Kelrith claimed. "You should try to see what she is after!"

"No, that would put her in possible danger, you fool." Carther knocked Kelrith on the head. "It is best if you stay away from her, Ezailia. Otherwise, you might find yourself in something too big to escape."

I nodded at his warning.

The horns went off signaling for us to join our daily groups. We separated and I found my way to Trogan's group. Beatra was there. I joined her. She smiled.

The whole group moseyed up to a jog. Trogan eyed Beatra and me as we passed him. Beatra purposely avoided his gaze. I gave a sarcastic wave to Trogan.

"Fine. I want a full sprint. You can thank Ezailia for that." He smiled devilishly at me. Everyone groaned, including Beatra.

As we ran I could tell it took Beatra more effort to keep up with me. I tried to slow my pace for her momentarily but eventually, I'm sure we would get in trouble for it.

"What's wrong?" I said once Trogan was out of range. Anxiously I waited.

"Nothing, I'm just tired."

As we ran my eyes drifted to her bouncing hair. Behind the strands, on the side of her neck was a dark bruise. Beatra caught my gaze. Her hand jumped to the bruise. She looked away, eyes glossed.

"Bea-"

"Beatra, Ezailia!" Trogan gestured for us to stop running.

I cursed under my breath.

He walked over to us.

"Do we have a problem with our legs ladies?" Beatra looked at him, eyes sharp. As did I. Trogan flicked his eyes over to me.

"That's what I thought. I would love to make an example of you two to everyone here, however, I am tired and I have one hell of a headache. So please get back to running so we can be done with this."