Chapter 34

There we stood, hidden behind the trees, watching the group of women whom Hardy had claimed ordered crates full of Black Lotus and Poppee.

"So what's the plan?" I asked Kelrith. He usually came up with the strategy. Back at the slave traders camp, Palleas was always asking Kelrith what he thought. Though Carther helped me train, Kelrith was the one studying Trogan's moves and telling us how to beat him.

"We can't just ask them if they are supplying this to KuRath." Bargonaan thought.

"Are you sure about that?" Beatra pointed out past the bushes we were hiding in and out to the group of ladies going through boxes. There, walking toward them, was Palleas.

"You have to be joking," I said aloud.

"It's ok." Kelrith held up his hand. "Let's see what he has in mind, but be ready to jump in." We watched from the bushes as the ladies spotted Palleas approaching.

"Hello, ladies," Palleas spoke gently. Three of the girls armed themselves. My hand hovered over the hilt of my sword.

"Well, who do we have here," said a fourth much older lady, who stood in front of the other girls. She was a bit shorter and her hair was speckled white and grey. Despite some of her appearances, she looked rather fit. Probably still capable of giving Palleas a run for his money.

"I mean no harm. I was sent here by KuRath himself." The girls looked at each other.

"Is that so?" The eldest asked.

"Yes. He sent me here to make a deal with you. You see he owes me a favor. Until recently I had no need for his help. However, there is this beautiful girl whom I like, but she doesn't see me in the same light. KuRath sent me here to repay his debt to me. Supposedly you have something that could fix my problem."

The older girl squinted her eyes.

"Don't worry, I don't expect anything for free. I do believe this should be enough." Palleas tossed a pouch of gold coins by the old lady's feet.

I saw Kelrith reaching for his pouch of money that was usually attached to his belt. His eyebrows twitched and annoyance washed over his face as he realized it was no longer there.

"If they don't kill him, I will."

Bargonaan shushed him. I looked back at Palleas who was taking a small black bag from the lady in front. Had he actually managed to get it? I can't believe they trusted him.

"Thanks for your help. I will be sure to thank KuRath again as well." He gave them a sturdy wave before disappearing into the woods opposite of us. The women looked at each other. The older lady turned toward the others. Her shoulders bounced up and down and she pointed in the direction of Palleas.

"We should go. Palleas will most likely meet us back at Tith. He is smart enough to know he could possibly be followed." Kelrith swung his arm like a fan at us.

I looked back at the women once more before following. Not only were they not following Palleas, but they had gone back to packing their things. The herbalist had made them out to be scary bandits. Yet they seemed to be regular travelers.

"Well that was easy." I sighed relieved.

"Too easy." Beatra said under her breath.

I opened my mouth to argue. However, Beatra always seemed to know what she was saying. So I decided to keep my mouth shut.

~

"That was amazing Palleas," Kelrith said to Palleas once we got back to Tith.

I couldn't help but wonder how Palleas had come up with the story so fast. I wonder if he had a girl he had feelings about. If he did he had never mentioned it. Then again I hadn't had a chance to talk to him much since him and the others met up with me in Tith. I hadn't really had a chance to talk to any of them personally. They had been so eager to help as soon as they found out I was in trouble. Despite the trouble I was in, I was lucky to have friends like them.

"Everything ok, Emilea?" I heard Palleas ask. I had zoned out. Everyone was looking at me.

"Yes, sorry. I was just thinking about how helpful all of you have been."

"You don't have to thank us, Emilea. We want to help as much as we can." Palleas stated. "You are our friend and we help our friends." Bargonaan and Kelrith nodded. They were good people. Though I still felt bad that they were getting caught up in the drama I had caused. Somehow once things had passed, I would have to repay them.

"Imagine where you'd be without me." Beatra crossed her legs.

"Oh, I am sure we'd be fine." Kelrith crossed his arms.

"If it wasn't for me, you'd all still be trying to figure out how to get that supplier to spill his beans. Most likely would've been arrested for trying too."

"Well, why don't we look at what you got in that satchel Palleas?" Kelrith ignored Beatra completely. He opened the bag, exposing a handful of black dust.

"That's it?" Beatra asked.

"This is it." Kelrith confirmed. "So now we just need Poppee, which I already have." Kelrith dug through his bag until he pulled out another pouch that contained a grain that looked like ground peppercorns.

"We aren't going to try it on someone, are we?" I asked.

"We could." Palleas looked at Beatra.

"You wouldn't." Beatra scowled.

"There is no need. We already know that KuRath is using it, since the merchants listened to Palleas."

"They didn't say they were working for him." Palleas said.

"Yes, but they didn't say they weren't either. The fact that they even gave this to you means that they might have actually believed your story. Which is another thing that bothers me. Why would they believe you?"

"Perhaps they were just charmed by my good looks?" He held up a hand to his chin and struck a pose.

"Ha."

Palleas glared at Beatra who had made no effort to hold in her laugh.

"The fact that they just gave you the powder-"

"They didn't just give it to me. I did pay handsomely for it."

"With my money I might add. You didn't have to go and spend all my gold." Kelrith scolded. "However, now that we have some I can try to come up with a counter medicine."

"Really!" I exclaimed a bit too loud and Palleas jumped.

"I will do everything I can, however..." Kelrith paused.

"However?" I asked.

"The only way to counter a spell is with another spell. I can create the medicine but it will be useless until we have a druid's help. I'm sorry."

"What? Don't be sorry. I've been to a druid village. They saved my life once. We can just go there for help. I am sure they would." I exclaimed.

"That is amazing. Where is it?" Bargonaan asked.

"It is about a half day's ride from here!"

"Then let us go!" Palleas smiled at me.

I was thrilled. For once, since the accident, I felt a bit relieved. Suddenly there was a light peaking through the darkness that had been consuming my mind. Teren was right to believe in me. I was going to get a cure.