Chapter 24

What did he mean? My relationship with Vermilion? I stopped. The room stood before me. There I knew they all waited for me. I had decided they were not going to beat around the bush with me anymore. They needed to give me a straight answer.

"Prince Andrion." I walked in and knelt in front of him. "What are you not telling me?"

"I believe I asked you a question first." Why did everyone dodge my questions?

"I have no current relationship with the head of the assassins. After all, they sold me to the slave traders." I wished Vermilion would have explained himself earlier. Though he didn't seem to "not care" as Illyana explained. Though what could I believe anymore? Did they really abandon me and sell me off? Perhaps there was a traitor among the assassins. Illyana popped into mind.

"Perhaps, however, I think there is more than that." His eyes drifted down. "It might have something to do with what you grasp so tightly in your hand. The very thing I have not seen you put down since you came, what the soldiers were fighting for, and what the assassin retrieved for you."

He was right. Everything that had come to pass was because of this sword.

"If you are to continue as my personal guard, you must explain to me the importance of that sword. Why does the King have every man in Galasia searching for it?"

Everyone's eyes were on me. My hands fidgeted. I took a deep breath, deciding it was best to explain everything that I knew.

"This sword was made specifically for the King. Upon his request. However, the swordsmith who made it knew if it reached the King, Galasia would never escape the dreaded shadow it has been under for the past several decades. So the sword was given to the assassins, in order to protect it. The swordsmith was my master, so Vermilion trusted the sword to me." Or at least that's what I thought. "I did lose it to the Blood Brothers but as you can see, I got it back. Seems like everyone wants the King's magical sword."

"Magical?" Carther asked.

"Well-" I paused. "The sword was made with Druid's stone." I withdrew the sword, exposing the bright spectrum of colors. Ziggs and Nibbs gasped while the others mumbled to each other.

"Druid's stone? The same stone in the wives tale?"

I nodded my head.

"How interesting. Well, what power does it have?" The Prince spoke up. I opened my mouth but paused. What powers did it have? I looked at the swords glimmering rays.

"Surely you don't believe in that kind of thing?" Waryn frowned.

"On the contrary. You see, the King may be unfit to rule this kingdom but he is wise enough to believe it's tales." The Prince shook his head at Waryn who crossed his arms and puffed out his lips like a pouting child.

"Well, no offense to the King's wisdom but- it seems to be a regular sword." I swung it around in my hands. The weight was perfect. The hilt held nicely in my hand and the blade was sharper than any other. Debynn had made a wonderful sword disregarding whatever magical capabilities it possessed.

"My Prince," Nethanael spoke. "If I recall correctly, I do believe I heard Master Abernan speak of it."

"My Master?" The Prince rubbed his chin. "Has he? I am sure he would be able to tell us more about it. If it is magical then we must learn its power before the Ultr army is assembled. Perhaps we can even use it against the King during our attack."

Master Abernan? Why did that name sound familiar? I was sure I had heard of them from someone, but who?

"It is settled then. Tomorrow we will head to his town in the mountains of Ultr. If anyone can tell us more, it's him." Prince Andrion announced. He went and sat down in the only chair in the room. "You are all dismissed." He gave me a nod as well. The others began to shuffle out of the room. Nathanael and Carther stayed behind with the Prince. They watched me leave. Then once I was out of range they closed the door behind me. Though the Prince was helping me, a bit of suspicion still itched in the back of my mind.