Chapter 38

There he was. As Teren had explained, guarding the doors to the King's Throne Room.

He smiled as we approached him.

"Step aside," Palleas commanded KuRath.

His smile grew even larger as he watched me pull my sword from its scabbard.

"I know what you have done!" I yelled at him.

"Whatever are you talking about?" His laugh boomed through the hall.

"I know you controlled me to kill all of those people back at Andrion's camp."

"Ahhh. Well, if that is what you want to believe I shall not stop you. Unfortunately, though, I can not let you pass."

"Fine by me." I rolled my neck. Here goes nothing. "Ready?" I asked the others.

"Yes." Palleas, Carther, and Teren responded.

"Beatra?" I asked, her silence annoying. I looked behind me to find empty air. "Where did she go?"

"I didn't even see her leave." Palleas looked back where Beatra would have been. "She probably used us to get to her brother. I am sure she cares little about the Prince or King."

"Exactly. I told her to go and find him," Kelrith spoke up.

We all looked at him.

"She's too much of a risk for us right now. Besides, her brother is the only reason she was helping us. It's best that she does what she needs to do."

"Ah, Beatra is here? Good to know." KuRath smiled.

I eyed him.

Palleas snorted. "We will focus on her later. For now, let's get this over with."

Palleas, Teren, and Kelrith drew their swords. I suppose we couldn't worry about Beatra now. We had to focus everything on KuRath before the Prince killed the King, that is if he hadn't already.

We advanced, surrounding his sides. Slowly we tightened, narrowing in on his position.

His eyes followed our movements. He had yet to draw his sword. Was this a trap?

"Now!" Kelrith ordered.

Teren and I swung from the front. Our swords clashed against his armor like pebbles.

Kelrith and Palleas jabbed from the sides.

KuRath managed to slip back from Kelrith's swing but in doing so stepped back into Pallea's attack. He hissed as Palleas poked him in between two pieces of metal.

KuRath reached behind his back. Teren and I stepped back, waiting for his sword to appear. "Get back!" I shouted.

Palleas ignored the warning. His eyes gazed wide at KuRath's open side. It was taunting.

"Palleas!" I shouted louder.

Too late. KuRath whipped his sword through the air. Palleas held for a block. Sparks flew. The force of this swing rammed Palleas back into Teren's chest, sliding them across the floor.

I had almost forgotten about his ungodly large weapon. To think he used dark magic as well. He was a force to be reckoned with.

"We have to do that again," Kelrith spoke.

"We just have to be careful. He hasn't even used his dark magic yet. Besides we could barely hit him-"

"Trust me, Emilea." Kelrith interrupted my obvious warnings.