Chapter 42

That's when I heard it. To be more specific, I felt something. At first, it was cold, but as it traveled around me, it became warm. It was like an ocean breeze.

"Shhh."

My thoughts froze. Was that my imagination? Or had I just heard someone speak?

"Don't be afraid." There it was. A voice. I knew this voice.

"You have done well. Just as I had expected."

"Debynn?"

"I will help you as much as I can." Debynn appeared from the shadows.

"I'm scared, Debynn. I know this was the only way, but I'm not ready to die." I sobbed.

"Don't worry. I will not leave you. Not now." Debynn said sternly.

"I'm sorry, Debynn. I failed everyone. You warned me about Abernan but I couldn't stop him. I couldn't do anything." I let the sound of my sobs fill the emptiness.

"It is my fault. I did not prepare you enough for this. I should have told you. Instead, I left you to fight on your own. Because of that, you have suffered more than any of us."

He had no reason to apologize. Who was I to regret the life I had? It was what I wanted, a life of adventure. Perhaps it was time to find peace.

"Is it peaceful where you are?" I asked Debynn. From what I had learned, the beyond was a wonderful place. "Will I find happiness?"

He did not speak.

"Debynn?" Had he heard me?

He sighed.

"If peace is what you desire, then your mother can show you the way." A door opened and light poured out into the blackness. A shadowed figure stood at its center.

"Mother?" Was that her? I began to walk towards her. I turned my head back to Debynn who had not moved.

"Are you coming?" I asked.

He shook his head.

"No."

"Why not?" Why couldn't he come?

"I can not let Abernan get away with what he has done." He looked behind, as if there was something beyond the darkness.

"How are you going to stop him?"

"Emilea!" I heard a woman's voice from behind me. It was her voice. The woman Debynn claimed to be my mother. Queen Ezailia. The gentle sweet sound of her voice made my heart skip. It was nothing of a monster.

"My path is not lit brightly like your mother's." Debynn spoke. "I cannot promise you peace or happiness as your mother can. All I can promise you is a hope of a safer tomorrow. In the end, it is your decision." He explained.

Mother's shadow almost touched the place I stood. The thought of seeing her filled me with excitement. Though Debynn's words stopped me. The idea of peace and happiness sounded pleasant, but my worry for my friends overpowered those feelings. Could I find peace and happiness without them?

"I don't think I will ever stop worrying about Galasia." I wanted to imagine Aldan's grassy fields, smell the ocean, feel raindrops on my face, not be surrounded by this empty dark abyss. "Please. What should I do?"

Debynn appeared in front of me.

"Take my hand."

Without hesitation, I took it.

"What now?" I asked as we stood on nothing.

"Now, I will take you with me."

** Author's Note: Hey everyone! Thanks for reading The Druid Wielder. I am so happy that I could share this story but sad that it is over. I hope you enjoyed and I look forward to writing more for you. I did plan for there to be a sequel but that is still in the works and based on how the readers respond to this story. If you think or if you wish it did have a sequel please let me know. I would love to hear any and all thoughts about the book. Hope you all have a great day and thanks again for indulging a new author.**