Chapter 30

I couldn't see. Everything around me was pitch black.

My whole body shook like a cornered rabbit. I looked around frantically. No walls. There was no light.

A soft menacing laugh erupted through the darkness. My eyes creaked to the left. There stood KuRath. He moved closer. The darkness hid most of him. All I could see was his face. This had to be a nightmare.

"Mhhh." He hummed and tilted his head at me like a captivated cobra. I saw the glimmer of his sword which he slowly drew, sliding it up to my throat. My heart pounded in my chest. I gulped for air.

"Do as I say." His breath tickled my ear, sending my hairs on end. "If you play along nicely, perhaps, in the end, I will let you stay as my pet."

He put something in my hand. It was small like a twig. I looked closely, it was a match.

With a flick of his wrist, it ignited. He looked up at me. KuRath's lips curled up.

"Drop it."

"What?" I looked down at the red flame in my hand, then down at the ground which was packed with people from the assassin camp.

"No, I wouldn't-"

My hand opened. The flame fell from my fingers and ate at my palm's flesh. Slowly my hand began to tilt. I had no control. Why? What was happening? Had KuRath taken control of my body?

In horror, I watched the match drop. In an instant, the faces I knew were melting. His laugh shook with the shadows and he disappeared behind the hell. Then there was a noise. Something in the distance. I looked out. My heart was beating so loudly in my ears I couldn't hear anything else. But the noise grew louder than my heart.

I heard it. A piercing scream, then two, then a dozen, that rose from the red snaking flames. The flames tickled my skin like rose thorns. If I did not escape now I would melt too.

"Hello? Help!" I gagged through the thick cloud of black.

Bright red flaming corpses surrounded me. They screamed louder.

"Get back!" I swung my sword at them. Any closer and I would catch fire too.

"You did this!" One shouted.

"Traitor." Another corpse moaned.

"Traitor!" They all screeched. I covered my ears. No.

"It was KuRath! Not me!" But they didn't seem to care. Several of the accusing ran towards me, melting arms outstretched.

"Get away!" I struck them with my blade. Their bodies collapsed into the others. They began climbing over their fallen friends, screaming in my direction. I struck one after the other. The old, women, even children. "Stop! Get back!" My voice scraped against my throat and tears burned my eyes. Whatever nightmare this was, I had to find a way to make it end. Somehow I pushed past. The black pupil eyes of soulless corpses watched me pass. I couldn't help them.

"It wasn't your fault. It wasn't your fault. KuRath did it." I repeated it over and over.

My feet took me through the ocean of melting flesh. Several hands grabbed onto me. My own screams mixed with their own. I struggled with the last of my strength.

My foot caught on something and I fell towards the ground, my body winced as the fire approached me.

I hit the ground. Something long and smooth waved through my hands and poked at my face. Was this grass? Yes, I was sure of it now. I could smell the sweet leafy aroma along with a burned bark smell. I could still hear the screams. I closed my eyes tightly.