Chapter 18

I woke up in a haze. The shooting pain hit me like a volt of electricity. That damned fool had knocked me out. I looked around me. I was on a bed in a familiar tent. I recognized it to be the one I first awoke in on my first day.

"Well, you're finally up." The sweet voice of the nurse rang through the air. I turned my head slightly to see her rubbing a cloth in some type of ointment. Then ever so gently she dabbed it onto my exposed stomach. I winced with each dab.

"Thank you."

"I am the nurse. This is what I do." She replied calmly.

"What's your name?" I asked. The idea that someone as young and as innocent sounding as her was in a place like this made me concerned. Plus she helped me when we first met so the least I could do was remember her name.

"Kana." She whispered while looking towards the tent opening, making sure no one was around.

"Thank you Kana," I said again. She looked at me then nodded.

"May I say something now?" She spoke suddenly.

"Mmh?" A throbbing pain shot through my chest as I went to speak.

"You are not very smart."

I looked up at her, dumbfounded.

"Giving up your freedom so easily like that means you are either dumb or have nothing else to live for. So why would you? Surely not because you wanted to help, Beatra? I've heard she's a spy." I laughed nervously. Kana was most likely right. I don't know why I stood up for that girl. I was obviously trudging in deep waters now, but there was no turning back.

"I haven't given up my freedom. I haven't lost the fight. Not yet anyway." I smirked. Besides, I was hoping to get out of here before then. At least that was the idea.

She shook her head.

"Making a bet like that is an automatic loss. He is the best fighter here. There isn't anyone who has beaten him. How will you?" She gestured to my bruised abdomen and my shoulder. "Did I also not say to draw little attention towards yourself." She stopped and sighed. Then several seconds later she leaned very close to my face, looked around with her eyes then spoke softly.

"Syrus has a weak spot for bets. If you give him a good one he might be able to help you get out of this somehow. That's the best you can do right now-"

"Ah, Kana, how is our new member doing?" Gretchan and Syrus entered the tent.

"She is all taken care of, sir." Kana stood upright.

"So what are you still doing here?" Gretchan eyed her down. She bowed then left immediately.

If Kana believed betting with Syrus could help my situation, I had better believe her. Perhaps I could convince them that this fight was a misunderstanding, though I had no idea how I would do so.

"Well well well looks like we got an interesting new Beggar on our hands, wouldn't you say so brother?" Gretchan chuckled.

"Oh indeed," Syrus tried to hide a yawn.

"If you're not regretting picking a fight with Trogan now, then you will next week when you fight him." Gretchan grinned from head to toe.

"Yes, we are both very intrigued at your bet with Trogan and look forward to seeing it play out. He is our best fighter." Syrus twirled his finger around a long strand of his beard.

Well, they obviously wanted this fight to happen so I would have to go along with what Kana suggested and make a bet with Syrus.

"It's unfortunate that he won't rise to your expectations." I set the bait, though I was slightly annoyed at myself for having to do this again. Was making another bet really going to help? Could it make things better for me? How could I make it even the odds? How could I make all of this worth it?

They both looked up at me.

"Oh?" Syrus raised a brow. "Do you mean to say, you think you will win?"

"I know I can win," I said confidently.

"He is the reason you passed out earlier, is he not?" Syrus crossed his arms.

"That wasn't fair. He did that with no warning. Next time I will be ready."

"You do remember you can't kill him, though he can do whatever he wants to you. If he cuts your throat and you bleed out, then there isn't really anything we can do." Gretchan shrugged.

Other than those rules being extremely unfair, I was aware of them.

"I will bet you that I will beat him."

"We do not take bets from Beggars." Gretchan turned to leave.

"Even if I will do anything for you if I lose?" I asked.

"You already do that," Gretchan waved me off.

Syrus grabbed his brother's arm.

"Anything?" His head slid back around.

"Please tell me you are joking, brother." Gretchan looked at him quite seriously.

"She really believes she will win against our strongest fighter. Doesn't that spike your interest at least a bit?" He and his brother exchanged glances. "What do you want, if you somehow manage to beat him?"

"When I become a Royal, I want the weapon of my choosing to be the sword you took from me in the first place."

"That is a big request, coming from someone like you." Gretchan chuckled.

Syrus mouthed something to his brother that I could not read.

"Well, I believe it is a reasonable request since I will be defeating a warrior acclaimed to be the best." I tried to seal the deal as best as I could. How was I to defeat Trogan like I promised ? For the moment all I had to do was convince them I would. Then later I would have to convince myself.

"Ok. I will take your bet. However, if you lose, not only will you accept the terms with Trogan, you will also do whatever Gretchan and I ask of you, whenever, whatever." He extended his hand. "Do we have a deal?"

I mentally sighed. If I could get my sword, then maybe there was a sliver of hope left that I could return to my previous life.

"Now that you two have finished with your fun," Gretchan interrupted our handshake, "why don't you get back to your daily lessons." He shooed me away.

Kana, who was leaning close to the tent, jumped upon seeing me.

"What kind of bet was that?" She hissed at me.

"Kana! Would you mind joining us?" Gretchan shouted from inside the tent. She shook her head then entered the tent.

I had a week to prepare for the fight. I had no idea how I was supposed to beat him. All I knew was that I had to defeat him, even if I died, though I would prefer not to.