Chapter Fifty...

"You want me to do what?" Lanthia asked incredulously. "A permanent link to a moon gate is dangerous, Jia. If it isn't set up right there's no telling what might happen. You could die."

"And if I don't do this it leaves God at risk. If anything happens to them then all the realms will collapse." Jia laid a hand on Lanthia's arm and smiled. "I wouldn't trust anybody else to do this right."

"Are both of you absolutely certain?" The Witch studied their faces, looking for the slightest hint of hesitation.

"We are," Lucifer replied coolly. "This is something we have to do to keep everyone safe."

"...Very well," Lanthia sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Jia, once the link is created you must not leave the demonic realm. Do you understand? Switching realms will put too much strain on your link. An improperly severed connection runs the risk of killing you."

"I understand," Jia confirmed.

"Then we'd best get to the academy in your realm. The sooner we get this out of the way, the better." The Witch sighed, her lips pressed into a thin line.

"Don't you need trinkets or herbs or something?"

"Not for this," Lucifer cut in. "Enchanted items and potions don't work on moon gates." He waved a hand, hellfire snapping in his eyes as a shadow portal appeared beside him. "Let's go."

Lanthia went through first, followed by Jia, with Lucifer bringing up the rear. They stepped out into what Jia could only assume was the underbelly of Apollyon Academy. The ceilings were so tall they disappeared into the gloom high above her head. Sconces burned eternally in their places along the edges of the long room, their light barely penetrating the thick shadows.

The space resembled a cathedral of some sort, lined by intricately carved stone pillars. There were no pews to sit at and no windows since the place was underground, but there was a raised stone dais in the centre. On that dais was the moon gate.

It was different to the other two she'd seen so far. It was made of what looked like magma, cooled in a permanent circular structure and covered with ripples and cracks. The stone was deepest black and glittered slightly in the firelight.

"This is the moon gate of Apollyon," Lucifer said quietly. "Nobody has touched this gate in centuries. I'm not even sure it's active."

"It's active alright," Jia whispered, feeling the pulse of energy like a heartbeat beneath her feet. It seemed to speak to her, sending magic crackling along the new markings of her true form where they hid beneath her human skin.

"This gate is ancient," Lanthia breathed, her eyes wide as she gazed up at the strange structure. "I've never known a power like this. You cannot let Jezebeth near this gate, no matter what else happens."

"I won't let her get anywhere near it," Jia vowed. "Tell me how to link myself to it."

"To establish a link you must simply stand under the gate and place your hands upon it. I will awaken the ley lines surrounding this seat of power and direct them towards where you stand."

Jia took a deep breath and climbed the three short steps to the dais, positioning herself under the arch of the moon gate and turning back to face Lanthia and Lucifer. The stone inside the gate was as smooth as glass and purest black, reflecting her own worried face back at her.

"When the power reaches you, you mustn't fight it," the Witch warned. "Let it in. Let it flow through you and entwine itself with your magic. Let it become part of you."

"Be careful," Lucifer murmured, his red eyes focussed on her face. She nodded and closed her eyes, focussing only on the gate under her palms as she reached out to lay her hands flat against the insides.