Chapter Thirty Eight...

"Wait a minute, you're telling me that our politicians are Demons?" Evan asked. His eyebrows were so high on his forehead Jia was worried they were going to disappear into his hair. "All of them?"

"Not all," Lucifer answered. A muscle in his jaw ticked and Jia could tell he was getting annoyed. The others in the room had asked him the same questions at least six times.

"That doesn't make sense," Sellik frowned. "What does a Demon want with human politics?" Lucifer scowled and Jia stepped forwards, putting a hand on his arm and giving him her best 'I've got this' look. The corner of his lips twitched as he fought a faint smile despite his mood.

"We don't know why it's happening. We have some theories but until we meet with the Witches we won't know more. All of this is just a possibility and if it turns out to be true it could be disastrous for all of us.

"Some major figureheads in the human world are demons but most of the lower level politicians are your average shifters, witches, Lotura and humans." She paused, looking at the faces in the room to see if they understood.

"Okay then," Sellik shrugged. She flashed a bright grin, her green hair swishing around her shoulders. "I guess I can be your personal medic for a while. I know how much you tend to get yourself into trouble," she winked. Jia chuckled.

"I'm in," Bee said simply.

"Me too, though lord knows why you're worried about the human world," Asmodeus shrugged.

"It used to be our home," Evan answered sharply. "Of course we're worried."

"I know, but it isn't your home anymore."

"There's still a chance I might be able to live there," Evan said, but he sounded more like he was trying to convince himself of that than those around him. Jia felt a twinge of sadness.

"Do you think you'll be able to stay in control of yourself while we're there?" Lucifer asked.

"Honestly, I'm not sure. I haven't been around a human since I turned," the Vampire mumbled.

"Sure he can," Sellik piped up. "I'll make sure of it."

"You will? How?" Jia's questions were urgent and eager as she took a step towards the medical attendant.

"I've been working on something to help dampen the smell of human blood," she beamed. "I thought we might as well give Evan the best chance we can if he's insisting on going back there."

"You've been working on something to help me?" he asked.

"I can't help but take pity on such a pretty face," she answered with a wink. His responding grin was wide.

"Does anybody else have any burning questions or can we leave?" Lucifer asked, looking around the room. Nobody spoke so he nodded. "Alright then, let's go."

oO0Oo

They emerged from the shadow portal between two tall buildings, sheltered from view and from the sunlight. After their last experience in a human world alley both Jia and Evander shuddered. Lucifer put a hand on her arm to show she would be safe with him.

"Let me make myself mundane and we can go," Sellik said. She raised her hand and pressed two fingers to the inside of her wrist. A sigil glowed to life beneath her fingertips and Jia watched in fascination as the skin changed from its beautiful pale green to a smooth, rich cafe au lait. The green in her hair deepened to a beautiful copper orange and her slit pupils dilated to look human. Somehow Sellik was dazzling even as a normal human.