Chapter Twenty Eight...

"Well that didn't take long did it?" Sellik scolded. She pointed angrily at the nearest bed and Lucifer walked to it and sat in silence. Jia took the one next to him, noticing how he didn't look at her.

She felt a pang of guilt as she realised that he must be feeling rejected by her. He'd said he wanted to kiss her and she called him a liar. He'd asked her what he was to her and she hadn't been able to tell him. All that time he must have been thinking Evander was the reason.

The truth was that Evan had nothing to do with it. As she thought about it she realised more and more that she did harbour affection for Evan, though she wasn't sure what type of affection it was.

A long time ago she'd wanted a repeat of the night they'd met, but she'd moved past that. She'd been jealous of Hannah, but not because she loved Evan.

She was jealous because Hannah could be natural around him. She could spend time with him without fear of being beaten by someone for it. When she laughed it was real and it was because she wanted to, not because she was trying to hide the pain of bruises nobody else knew about.

Evan was attractive, sure. She couldn't deny that, but she'd given up any notions of a relationship with him a while ago.

She came to these realisations slowly, working over them one by one as Sellik applied some sort of cream to her arm and set it in a brace. She was told to stay put while the attendant sorted Lucifer, and Jia found herself watching as Sellik wiped his lips and frowned in disapproval when the tissue came away red.

"I told you not to leave until you were ready," she chastised.

"I know. I was too impatient." Her eyebrows rose at Lucifer's easy admission. "I'm sorry." She looked like she was working hard to keep her mouth shut, obviously surprised by his sincere apology.

"Are you alright?" she asked softly. She touched his arm in a motherly gesture, a worried frown creasing her brow. Jia looked away, knowing she was responsible for his behaviour.

"I'm fine." He tried an unconvincing smile. "I'm just hurting more than I expected to be." Jia's gaze shot back up to him and she saw the ridge between his brows, though he wasn't looking at her. She and Sellik shared a look as they both caught the underlying meaning in his words. Jia hated herself.

"I can sort the physical pain," Sellik said. "I'll have to leave the rest up to you." Lucifer frowned at her. She sighed and set her hands on her hips. "I'm not stupid. It's very obvious with the sulky looks on your faces that something happened between you." The Demon Prince raised an eyebrow. "Don't give me that look."

"I'm not giving you a look."

"Yes you are. You're giving me your 'shut up talking' look."

"If that's what you think I'm doing then why are you still talking?" he asked.

"Because you know the only time I listen to you is when you use your bossy voice," she shrugged. "Sort out whatever this is." She gestured at the two of them. "You're glooming up my Infirmary." A faint smile twitched at the corners of his lips as she walked away, though it didn't reach his eyes.

"I'm sorry," Jia said quietly. Lucifer turned and looked at her at last.

"What for?"

"Upsetting you. Making you feel rejected."

"Rejected?" His head tilted again. "Is that what that was?" She frowned at him. "I asked you what I am to you. I didn't ask you out."

"I know that." Her cheeks burned.

"There's no need to be embarrassed." His expression softened somewhat. "I understand why you couldn't tell me."

"I don't think you do understand," she replied. She slid off her hospital bed and crossed the space, standing expectantly beside him. He raised an eyebrow before scooting over for her. She settled into his side and after a moment he draped his unbroken arm around her shoulders, making her more comfortable.