Chapter Eight...

"I didn't have you down as a hugger," Jia mumbled into Beelzebub's chest.

"I hug anyone that gives me chocolate," he answered, setting her back on her feet and releasing her at last. Her ribs groaned as they returned to their normal shape.

"Who's Bee hugging?" Belphegor asked as he sat up, yawning and rubbing his eyes.

"Jia," Mammon answered.

"Oh. I want one." Bell was still half asleep but he stood and pulled her into a gentle embrace anyway. "Want to watch a movie tonight? It's been years since we did that."

"Are you sure you could stay awake for it?"

"No," he grinned. "But the start of the movie is always fun and I like popcorn."

"Did somebody say popcorn? Can I come too?" Bee asked. Mammon started laughing as Jia spluttered, confused by the outpouring of friendliness from all of them despite Lucifer's warning about her being in danger.

"You're only interested because there's gonna be food," Bell said.

"And?" Bee answered. "Food and new friends sounds like a fun night."

"I really appreciate the offer, both of you, but I've had a really long day," Jia answered hesitantly. "My best friend got turned into a Vampire. I'd like to just sleep tonight if that's okay." She saw the disappointment in Bell's eyes. "But I'd love to watch a movie tomorrow with you." His smile returned and Bee grinned as well.

"I'll bring the popcorn," the huge Demon said.

"And I'll try not to fall asleep," Bell nodded. She grinned back and stifled a yawn, fighting off the sudden exhaustion. Mammon noticed and stood, gesturing for her to follow him as everyone else descended back into amicable chatter. She turned back to see Lucifer's red eyes watching her as she left. She waved and he smiled faintly.

"I sure didn't expect that," Mammon said. "Those guys really like you, shortstack."

"I thought Bee was going to eat me."

"He probably was until you gave him the pudding."

"Sorry about that, I know you wanted it."

"I don't mind. I swiped Bell's while he was sleeping," he grinned, pulling another pudding cup out of his pocket to show her. Jia chuckled and shook her head at him.

"It still astounds me that you can get human food in this realm."

"Technically it isn't human food. But it's made here and humans could eat it without a problem so it's not really any different to a chocolate pudding where you come from."

"When I first came here I had no idea that Demons even liked our food."

"What did you expect us to eat?"

"People."

"You're thinking of zombies. Or Bee."

"He's eaten someone?"

"I wouldn't put it past him. I once watched him eat a bowl of plastic fruit because it looked real. When I told him it was fake he shrugged and carried on eating." Jia blinked. He turned to look at her and smiled. "I'm kidding."

"Idiot," she grinned. He elbowed her playfully before throwing an arm around her shoulders. It was the closest Mammon usually got to initiating a hug even in private.

"It's good to have you back here."

"It's good to be back," she replied. "It kind of felt like coming home."

"You missed this place that much?"

"My earliest memories are of this world. Of course I missed it." She smiled. "Actually one of the first memories I have is of you." He looked at her in surprise. "The day you found me with a head injury you called me shortstack when I couldn't tell you my name."