Chapter Forty...

"Stand beneath the moon gate and close your eyes," Lanthia instructed. Jia nodded and padded across the soft grass, positioning herself under the worn stone structure as butterflies fluttered in her stomach. She wanted to speak to her mother more than anything but she was so afraid that she didn't have enough power to Scry.

Quite often, the Demons she'd come to call her family would talk about the power they thought she held. They believed she was strong. The problem was that she didn't believe it herself. If she possessed any real magical talent why hadn't she been able to use it to stop Abaddon from harming her? She'd prayed so many times for the strength to defend herself and it had never found her.

"Clear your mind, Jia. Don't worry about whether it will work, just think of your mother. Remember her face, the colour of her hair, how she sounded when she spoke to you."

Jia took a deep breath and closed her eyes, picturing the way Lauviah's blonde tresses had shone like gold in her hands as the brush slid through them in Lucifer's room. She saw the strength in her mother's beautiful eyes despite her thin frame and gaunt cheeks. The memory of her adoring smile blossomed in Jia's mind and she found herself smiling too as her mother turned and beamed, her face fuller and her body stronger.

"Jia? Is that you sweetheart?"

"Mother?" Jia's eyes flew open and she found herself surrounded by a pearly haze on all sides except one. It roiled and drifted around her like fog, but when she reached out to touch it she felt nothing.

In front of her the fog was clear, showing a good view of an ornate white room with gold and duck egg blue accents. In the centre stood Lauviah, clad in an equally beautiful white dress with golden clasps at the shoulders and a decorated gold belt at her waist. It flowed around her like water, giving her an almost grecian goddess-like appearance. Her beautiful blonde hair was braided in an intricate crown on her head, loose strands framing the soft pink of her cheeks.

 Her beautiful blonde hair was braided in an intricate crown on her head, loose strands framing the soft pink of her cheeks

"Are you Scrying me from the human world?" Lauviah asked, taking a few steps closer.

"I...I think so. You look so beautiful." Jia's voice cracked as she took in the vision that was her mother, tall and strong and glorious in her home.

"Being back with the Angels has done so much to heal me," Lauvi answered with another dazzling smile. "I'm not one hundred percent yet but I'm getting there. How are you my darling? I miss you more than I can say."

"I miss you too." Jia hesitated, wondering if she could tell her mother about Lucifer.

"What is it?" Concern coloured the Angel's tone as she waited for her daughter's reply.

"Well...I'm not sure how much I can say. I don't want to drag you into the mess of the Demonic realm when you've only just escaped it." She twisted the hem of her shirt in her hands nervously. "But I wanted to tell you that...that Louie and I are together."