Chapter Fifty Six...

Everything was white. There was no up or down. No left or right. There was no horizon, no break or chink the endless, monotonous nowhere. Jia couldn't move or speak. She wasn't even sure she had a body anymore.

Was this all she had to look forward to now? This mind bending emptiness that was nowhere and everywhere all at once? She couldn't smell anything, nor could she hear. There was no breeze, no cold or warm. She was desensitised completely and it left her feeling unhinged.

Seconds could have been hours or years or no time at all. Millenia could be passing in the world she'd come from and it wouldn't matter. She just waited, for what? She didn't know. Could a person wait in a place where there was no time?

The Endless was unchanging, unwavering, unvaried and unsettling. She knew it wasn't an afterlife. It wasn't what waited at the end. For people killed by the dagger, there truly was nothing. This was what awaited them, their own empty version of this.

Hopelessness pervaded whatever she was now, seeping into every bit of her that was left until it was all she could feel. Hopeless at the loss of her life. Hopeless at the loss of her love. Her mother, her friends, her home, her magic. All gone. It was agonising.

"Jia." The voice came so suddenly that if she'd had a body, she would've flinched. She recognised that voice somehow. A memory, perhaps? How long had she been trapped in the Endless? Were memories even important anymore?

"You can overcome, Nephilim. My will for you is not this. Overcome, Jia Morningstar."

God. The voice belonged to God. The memory of the deity bringing out her true form, burning the impurities from her soul left there by Abaddon and bringing her into the world as something entirely knew just with a touch of their hand, it made her feel strange.

She had no hands, but she felt her fingers twitch.

One memory brought another, and then another and another until her head was brimming with the faces of all of those she loved and missed.

The heart she didn't have began to ache.

Beautiful crimson eyes, tears that weren't hers, a voice begging her to stay, to come back, to not leave him alone.

Cheeks that had turned to dust suddenly felt wet.

oO0Oo

Everything hurt. Jia felt her ribs creak as her lungs inflated. Her face throbbed from the beatings she'd taken. Her legs and arms ached from exertion. Her back burned like it was on fire. Everything felt bruised, but everything felt.

She was alive.

Her eyes fluttered open to find Lucifer staring at her in shock, his red eyes bloodshot with tears. Lauviah was crying into Michael's shoulder, all of them surrounding her where she lay in Lucifer's arms.

"Hi," she rasped. He reached out to touch her face as though he thought she weren't real, and when he realised she was real and warm and alive he kissed her.

Even when he let her lips go he peppered her face with butterfly kisses before cradling her against him, fresh tears pouring down his face.

Her mother was next, placing a kiss of her own on Jia's forehead before folding her into a tight hug and sobbing into her hair.