Chapter Thirty Seven...

She was nervous. She stood outside Belphegor's door wringing her hands for a moment before she found the courage to knock.

"Ev? Are you in there?" Jia called out quietly to him, hoping all at once that he was both there and not there. The conversation needed having but that didn't make the thought of it a pleasant one

"Jia, hi." His face appeared in the doorway and he stepped out into the hall to talk, leaning back against the wall and folding his arms across his chest. Now the energy of the Demonic Realm was sustaining him, his skin had regained its rich tan and his dark hair was shiny and windswept. He looked healthier than she'd ever seen him. "You smell like the Prince."

"About that." She hesitated. "I...I spent the night with him."

"I know." Her eyes bugged wide in shock. "Vampire hearing is more sensitive than even a Demon's," he said, tapping his ear. Despite his grim expression a slight smile tugged at his lips. "At least you had fun." Heat crawled up her neck as she looked away.

"It was more than fun," she answered quietly.

"Gross, I don't need details." She heard a hint of humour in his tone.

"That's not what I meant, doofus," she retorted, elbowing him. He chuckled and shoved her gently in response. "I meant it wasn't just a fling. I...We're together now."

"Chill, Jia. I know what you meant." He pushed his hands into the pockets of his jeans and tipped his head to the side, dark hair falling into his eyes. "You don't have to explain."

"I feel like I do though

"I feel like I do though."

"You don't. Kissing you was a confusing mistake and I shouldn't have done it." His brow furrowed. "I guess I just needed to be close to you."

"You are close to me." She reached out to touch his arm. "You'll always be close to me, Ev. You're my best friend."

"I'm surprised you still want to call me that after how I've been behaving. I've been an asshole." He swallowed awkwardly. "I know it's not an excuse, but everything I love is slipping away from me. You're the last stable thing I have and I guess I was jealous when I realised I wasn't the main guy anymore." He smiled and sighed. "I'm sorry."

"I forgive you," she grinned. "Can we go back to being you and me? Evan and Jia?"

"I'd like that," he beamed. "Come on. We can go get some breakfast and you can tell me about you and the Prince." For the first time since he'd been changed, Evan spoke about Lucifer with no animosity. He offered her his arm and she laughed and took it. "Ah, hold on. I think it's best if we make Bell come too."

"Are you worried you might freak out or something?"

"No, but I don't want to risk a repeat of my idiotic show last night. I'll be right back." He ducked back through the door and appeared again five minutes later with Bell in tow. The Demon blinked sleepily and yawned.