Chapter Eighteen...

"Mum?" Jia took a tentative step forwards and her eyes widened as the woman on the bed blinked and turned her head.

"Lisbeth?" Her voice sounded far away. "Where've you been?" Lauviah was beautiful once. She'd had long golden hair and incredible blue eyes that had been dulled by years of abuse. She was tall and slender and Jia had no doubt as an Angel at full strength she was glorious.

But she was gaunt and painfully thin

But she was gaunt and painfully thin. Her hair was knotted and her eyes were sunken and hooded above hollow cheeks.

"I'm here mum. We're here to help you."

"We?" Lauviah frowned and her eyes fell on Lucifer. They widened and she reached out to him. "Lucifer," she gasped. "It's you. You look different."

"Hi Lauvi." He took her hand, her fingers looking incredibly thin in his. His eyes were infinitely sad as he gazed down at her. "It's been a very long time. Let's get you home."

"Am I dreaming?"

"No." Jia touched her mother's cheek gently, tears flowing from her eyes. "You're safe now. You don't have to give him anything else." Lucifer stooped and lifted Lauviah from the bed carefully, the same way he'd lifted Jia when she was a child shivering in the streets.

Jia collected her bag from her bedroom and returned to them, slipping the red leather book Mrs Raylen had gifted her into it as she shut the door behind her. Lauviah was limp and weak in Lucifer's arms, but she tucked her head against his chest and clutched Jia's hand like she never wanted to let go.

Lucifer transported them back to the Demonic Realm and in a flash they were in his room. He laid Lauviah on his bed carefully and Jia tucked the blankets around her. She watched as Lucifer laid a hand against her mother's forehead and closed his eyes. When he withdrew, Lauviah gasped and a sudden alertness returned to her eyes as she looked around. Despite being agonisingly thin, she sat up as though ready for a fight.

"It's alright," Lucifer said quietly, sitting beside her. Lauviah's eyes locked onto his face. "You're in the Demonic Realm."

"The Demonic Realm? Why are we here?" she asked.

"The Uprising saw those of us that went against God cast out of the Angelic Realm. I followed my father and as a result I ended up here. You've been enslaved by Abaddon since the war." He took her hand. "I'm going to call Archangel Michael to take you home, Lauvi. You need to heal and you can't do that here."

"You're a Demon now?" she asked. "Like Abaddon?"

"Not like him." Lauvi reached out and touched his face gently.

"You're still as beautiful as ever." Lucifer chuckled despite his obvious distress. The sound made Jia cry harder.

"We're here to help you," she said. As soon as Lauviah focussed on her, her eyes widened and tears of her own welled up and spilled over.