Chapter Seventeen...

"Nice to see you back on your feet," Mammon grinned, clapping his brother on the back. Lucifer folded his arms across his chest, dressed in a smart fitted suit of deep black with a grey shirt. Jia had been fully healed from her bruising and when the marks faded from her skin they faded from his as well.

"It's nice to be out of bed," Louie replied.

"Never leave me to run this school without you again. It's been the worst four days of my life. Now are you gonna tell us what happened to Jia when she was a kid or do we have to guess?"

"I was horribly abused throughout my childhood," she said before Lucifer could speak. "I didn't remember anything because my father almost killed me the night you found me. I was so terrified that I shut myself off from everything that had happened to me before that point." Mammon's mouth fell open.

"Now do you understand why I said nothing?" Lucifer muttered, raising an eyebrow.

"Do you feel better for knowing?" Bell asked, touching her shoulder gently as his silver-haired brother fidgeted awkwardly.

"I do. Hopefully it'll mean I can move past it all." She tried a smile and he returned it instantly.

"Does that mean you'll both be back in classes now?" Mammon asked hopefully. Jia and Lucifer shared a look.

"There's something I have to take care of in the human world for now and then I'll be coming back to classes afterwards," she replied.

"Can you and Belphegor handle things here for one more day?" The brothers looked surprised that Lucifer was going with her himself, but they nodded and didn't pursue it. Mammon looked like he wanted to complain, but putting his foot firmly in his mouth had cowed his caustic attitude.

"When we get back do you think I can go see Evan?" Jia asked.

"No," Mammon answered immediately.

"He's too volatile to be around anyone," Bell agreed.

"Give it time," Lucifer said gently. "It's only been a few days." She frowned, but she understood. "We should go."

"We'll be back in a few hours," she told Mammon and Bell. They nodded and waved goodbye as they walked away. When they were gone Lucifer turned to her, letting his hands drop to his sides.

"Are you ready?"

"Let's go get my mother." She was wearing the jeans she'd arrived in and a pair of boots with a leather jacket she'd managed to borrow from Sytri. There was a knife tucked into her waistband. Lucifer didn't bother with weapons.

He held a gloved hand out to her and she took it, stepping into the shadows with him. They stepped out into the space at the side of her house, concealed from the street by the shrubs down the side of the lawn. Lucifer listened intently, moving closer to the porch as Jia's stomach clenched with fear.

 Lucifer listened intently, moving closer to the porch as Jia's stomach clenched with fear