Chapter Ten...

Jia sighed and touched the crest around her neck absently, wondering what Lucifer was doing while she was supposed to be sleeping. It warmed under her fingertips and she frowned as it compelled her to get out of bed. She decided to follow, unsurprised when the pendant led her straight past his room and towards the study.

The crest grew warmer, humming with energy in her hand as she approached the door and listened. There were no voices through the wood so it seemed like he was alone. She knocked gently but received no answer. The door opened silently and she stepped inside. The study was illuminated by the light of a low lamp, casting a glow over a sight that made her smile.

Lucifer was slumped over his desk with his head resting on his folded arms, snoring gently. His hair was mussed and his formal jacket and tie were hung over the back of the sofa, the sleeves of his black shirt rolled up over his elbows. In front of him sat an open book and several letters he'd obviously been half way through reading. One of them was still clutched loosely between his gloved fingers.

"Louie?" Jia said softly. He stirred but didn't wake, so she padded over and touched his shoulder gently. "Lucifer?"

He sat up quickly and blinked, looking around like he had no idea where he was. His usually perfect hair fell into his eyes as he focussed on her face. There was a pink mark on his cheek where it had rested on his arms.

 There was a pink mark on his cheek where it had rested on his arms

"Jia? What time is it?" His voice was husky with sleep.

"I don't know. It's late though. Why aren't you in bed if you're tired?"

"I was planning on finishing up here and then going," he answered, running a hand through his dark hair to push it back off his forehead. Jia marvelled at how easily it settled back into its usual neat side-part. "I must have dozed off in the middle of reading." She watched as he stretched and grimaced when his shoulders popped.

"How often do you do this?"

"Reading?"

"Falling asleep at your desk."

"More than I'm happy to admit," he replied. "Running a school for Demons is harder than it looks, especially one growing as fast as ours is. I get why my father abandoned it." He frowned. "What are you doing wandering the halls at this time?"

"I had a nightmare," she shrugged. "You know I could never get back to sleep after a bad dream."

"So you came looking for me?"

"Not on purpose. I was wondering if you'd be awake or not and the crest got warm. It seemed like it was tugging me somewhere so I followed it and here I am."

"You shouldn't be able to use the crest that way," he answered, his frown deepening. "You don't have the blood for it. Are you sure you're Lotura?"

"What else could I be?"

"I don't know," he murmured. "In any case, the only thing you should be able to do with that necklace is summon me to you. That's it." She blinked, unprepared for any further revelations after everything she'd been through.