4 | famous for its beach

THE ENDPOINT OF THE ROAD WAS A CLIFF OVERLOOKING A BEACH TOWN

I could see the sandy beach and the accumulation of tiny houses from where I stood. The town was so small that I could make out the boundaries of it, but its existence boosted the hope I needed to keep walking. All I had to do was to walk down this hill. I didn't know how long that would take, considering I'd been walking non-stop for an hour and needed a break. On the other hand, the sun was about to set, and I needed to arrive there before it was dark.

I looked back in desperation, but Cameron wasn't anywhere in sight. He either found another way or changed his mind about looking for a place. Or his ancient car came back to life after my leave. With my luck, it was probable.

I didn't need him, but it would definitely be better than being alone in the woods. The skirt of my wedding dress was covered with dirt, and my feet were throbbing with pain. I closed my eyes, wishing these all to be a nightmare and to wake up in Bali with Marcus in our honeymoon suite.

When I opened my eyes, the panoramic view of the tiny coastal town still welcomed me. This was my reality now, so the faster I adjusted to it, the better.

Okay, you can do this.

I wiped the sweat off my forehead, then fanned my face as I walked down the hill.

Eventually, I lost track of time while simultaneously walking the pebbly road and replaying the events from today in my head. Pops was probably devastated and mad at me for running away, but Auntie must have found a way to calm him down. My mind drifted to Marcus with rage, wondering where he was right now with his perfect ex-girlfriend. Were they jeering at me and celebrating their reunion now? Was he telling her that I was a mistake and it had been her all along?

She was a mistake, he'd said to me one night as we sat together on the couch, moonlighting through the curtains on half of his face. We weren't in an official relationship then, but we were together daily. I'd listened to his rants about his ex, told him it wasn't his fault, and been there for him whenever he needed me. I was the shoulder he could lean on. And I thought I won his love like a fucking prize.