bonus chapter | the berkeley letter

After opening my acceptance letter, I run straight to Amber

This is it. I'll tell her I've also been accepted to Berkeley, and I like her. I like her so much—I love her. But she doesn't have to know that. I find her in the cafeteria, sitting with the very same guy who ditched her at our prom, which I covered for, as her prom date.

My blood boils in my veins when he leans to put a kiss on her cheek.

When did they even start dating? Why did she even forgive him?

I stop in my tracks and watch them being lovey-dovey until the guy walks away. Their time is limited—mine isn't. I'll be next to her when we start college. She'll finally realize me. With this confidence, I make my way toward her.

"Hey," I say, and she lifts her head from the laptop.

"Hi." Her greeting sounds like a skeptical question. We didn't talk after the prom, but I thought it cleared the air. I had a great time, and she said she also did.

"Did you receive your Berkeley letter?"

She frowns. "What Berkeley letter?"

I laugh. "The Berkeley letter, Amberoni."

"Don't call me that," she scolds. "I didn't apply for Berkeley, Cammybear," she adds quietly like it's a secret.

"You didn't..." I halt to take a deep breath. "I thought Berkeley was your dream college."

Her eyes find mine, and all I see is rage. "Exactly," she says in an accusatory tone. Then, she clears her throat. "I realized Columbia is a better choice for me. Closer to NYU and offers a computer science program that fits me."

"Closer to NYU?" I ask confusedly.

"Jonah. My boyfriend. He's going to NYU."

I stare at her in shock for so long. I try to collect my mind, but I can't. She can't give up her dream college to be close to him. "What the fuck, Amber?"

She leans back and folds her arms. "Excuse me?"

"You're telling me you gave up your dream college to be close to a fucking guy?"

"Why do you care?"

I ignore her question altogether. "Does your father know about this?"

Her cheeks redden. "What is going on, Cameron? What's with this stupid interrogation?" She stands up, walks up closer, and looks into my eyes. "Isn't this what you wanted? I am out of your hair. You can go to your precious Berkeley without worrying about crossing paths with me."

I want to say that I picked it to be with her—precisely what I accused her of. Shit. "Right," I mutter, stepping back when the proximity feels intimidating. "I'm so glad you're out of my hair." My thoughts were unfiltered because of anger, and so were my words. "But don't come weeping to me when your precious Jonah dumps you the first second you land in New York."

Amber puts her hands on her hips. "Did I ever come to you for anything? You delusional prick."

"Did you forget last week? He dumped your ass, and I covered for him."

"I didn't ask you to," she whispers, looking around us like she doesn't want anyone to find out. I feel like a douchebag for driving her to the verge of breaking down, but I'm also sad—feeling like I've been deceived.

"Is this your self-worth? Following him to New York to get your ass dumped again?"

When she throws me daggers, I know I deserve it. But she also earned hearing my unfiltered thoughts because she is such a fool. A fucking fool.

"At least I have a boyfriend. What about you, Cammybear? Any candidates on the horizon?"

I just stare at her, letting her hit me with her words.

"You think you've been my prom date out of pity? Well, maybe. But I was your only choice. Only. So, don't act like you're any better than me—I was the best date you could ever have. The only date you could ever have."

She is right.

I'm not the type girls like, but I don't care about it. I have only eyes for one girl, and she hates me.

"Long story short, I am going to Columbia, and you're going to Berkeley. And if we are lucky, we will never see each other again—because I'm not setting foot in this town after I leave."

A pang of hurt crashes over me. I can't imagine not seeing Amber again.

I close my eyes, take a deep breath, and wet my lips. "Amber, I—"

"Are you coming, babe?" Jonah yells behind me.

Amber looks between me and him, then shoots him a wide grin—one I wish to be on the receiving end—and shoulder me to pass.

I am sorry, I say in my mind.

But I can never say it aloud.

Because Amber flies to New York next week, and I don't see her again.

✨💌✨

Happy New Year! 🥳🩷

This book changed my life in so many ways, witnessed my whole pregnancy. I can safely say I gave birth to two babies at the same time 🥹

I met so many amazing people, thanks to Land's End and Camberoni. I feel like we are a family. I have plans for this book and I hope you stick around to witness them. 🧡

May 2024 treat you with health, happiness, success and kindness. May it be beyond your dreams ✨

Love y'all,
Sev xx