29 | closure

CAN YOU FALL OUT OF LOVE IN TWO WEEKS?

Or does it mean that it was never love to begin with?

Is it possible to be indifferent to the voice that you've died to hear for days, waiting for a single call to end your suffering? All the missed calls and unseen messages. I knew why he had left me since he made it clear in his letter. I just wanted him to say it to my face so that I could feel at least important. I wanted to hear his sorry voice.

But now, his voice awakened a huge emptiness in me as Marcus said, "Amber."

It sounded like a plea: desperate, urgent, and regretful. I mulled over what would happen if he actually answered my missed calls within the first three days he dumped me. It would have been so different.

What I was sure of was that I would take him back then if he wanted me to. I would swallow my pride and accept his apology if he offered one. I would do it all despite all the damage he caused and would try my best to convince my father and others.

Right now, however, I felt like a completely different person. In a way, I could analyze everything beyond the perspective, saw the desperate woman who wanted to keep a man who never loved her, and found her self-worth. Then, magic happened, and here I was: in a small coastal town, sharing a room with my childhood nemesis I fell in love with.

Fate had twisted ways, but this was the best thing that's ever happened to me.

"Marcus."

I couldn't help the sarcastic tone in my voice.

"I—I've called you several times," he explained as if I asked him why he called me in the first place. "I just needed to talk to you." He stammered as he explained himself.

I'd seen Marcus in different settings, from his manager persona to his lover persona, but never I had heard him stammer before. Okay, I was overanalyzing because I was secretly having the sick pleasure of seeing him in pain.

I decided it wasn't a wise decision to hang in front of our room if I was going to have this conversation, so I quickly walked down the stairs and headed to the beach. "I'm listening," I said in action, walking toward the ocean.