21 | eggshells

I STARED AT THE CLOSED DOOR, KNOWING HE WAS BEHIND IT

Confronting someone when you are so mad at them and you've got a lot to say is scary because you know you'll never be able to voice your thoughts in the way you want. In my situation, it was also embarrassing because there was a possibility that he could crash my heart into pieces.

A part of me was disappointed in Cam. I thought we were on the same page; in fact, I was so sure of it. He was so gentle, understanding, and nice to me that I never thought it would come down to this. Cam was like paper; he seemed flat and easy to read, but his actions cut deep.

Yet cowards die many times before their deaths, so I decided to be brave and pulled the door open.

I found Cameron standing on the porch, his hands in his pockets, wearing the same clothes from earlier. His hair was a mess, and his cheeks were sunkissed. I didn't want to hold onto these tiny details about him, but I just overanalyzed when I was nervous. I was looking for something—for a sign that he was here to apologize and give me a solid explanation of what'd happened after our kiss.

I folded my arms as if they could protect my heart from getting hurt and took a deep breath. "Lilith said you want to talk."

He took a step forward and extended his hand out. "I came to take you home."

I looked at him in disbelief. "I'm not coming, Cameron." His hand hung in the air when I didn't hold it, and his eyes met mine when he shoved it back into his pockets. "I'm not going to stay in that room with you after what happened today." I huffed a dry laugh. "I thought you actually came here to explain."

"It's not something I prefer to explain here with an audience." When his eyes darted behind me, I turned back to see Tuesday's head before she went back into her room. Jesus. I pulled the door behind me until it was only ajar and returned to him.

"Really? Because we were alone in a fucking boat in the middle of nowhere all day,"—I lowered my voice when I realized I was shouting—"and you didn't say a damn word." I leaned against the door frame to balance myself as my eyes watered. "Gosh, Cam,"—I looked up to suppress my tears—"I just want to know the reason."