6 | stuck zipper situation

THE ZIPPER GOT STUCK

Since Cameron was in the shower, I thought I'd use this opportunity to change into my nightgown. I managed to undo the hook and progressed midway through the zipper until it got stuck. I forced it up and down several times, but I think it was messed up. I could just tear the dress down unapologetically, but I paid a considerable amount for it.

The shower filled the silence in the background, making me even more nervous about the idea of sharing this room with Cameron and being in this silly and frustrating situation. I now needed his help, too.

I decided to use this moment to turn up my phone and check the notifications. Countless calls and messages from both Pops and Auntie, and even from Aunt Annie, Cameron's mom. They were all asking about my well-being. Then, another message from Pops: call me as soon as you see this message.

I wasn't ready to hear his voice. I felt like I failed him the most by falling into this pit hole. He always relied on me to keep things together; I couldn't this time. I fell apart, feared, and ran away — just like she did.

I'm fine, Pops, I texted him instead. I just need time. I'm safe, don't worry. Cameron is with me.

I didn't know why I mentioned Cameron but thought Pops was always fond of him, and he'd feel better knowing I wasn't alone.

No messages or calls from Marcus Kavinsky. I checked my messages from earlier: petty, desperate, and sad. I shouldn't have shown him how he ruined me.

When I heard Cameron turning off the water, I turned my phone off and sat on the bed. Checking the notifications made me queasy, but I didn't want Cameron to see me down.

The door unlocked a few minutes later, Cameron emerging from inside only with a towel wrapped around his waist. Who told him he could saunter into the room naked?

"Uh," he said, running a hand through his wet hair with one hand, showing off his bicep in the wake. I didn't pay attention; he was shoving it in my face. "I forgot to take my clothes with me." Then, he frowned at me like he'd seen something strange. "Are you okay?"