16 | disco ball

WINE IN MY SYSTEM BLURRED MY MIND AS THE NIGHT BREEZE COOLED MY FLUSHED CHEEKS

We snuck out from the tavern's back door leading directly to the beach, hand in hand, and once my heels sank into the sand, it was difficult to step forward. I let go of his hand and sat on the step to undo my heels. I felt his silent gaze hovering over me all the while, his hands in his pockets. I lifted my eyes and smiled at him, taking my heels in one hand and extending the other for him to hold.

As we strolled on the beach toward the shore, I collected my courage to ask him the burning question. "Is everything okay?"

The night was crisp, and my ears buzzed because of the high volume earlier.

I listened to the peaceful silence between us as he took his time to answer, the tavern's muffled noise blocked by the waves' whoosh. I inhaled the fresh air, closing my eyes. The intoxication faded with each stroke of the cold breeze against my face.

He took a deep breath at last. "She made a big deal out of nothing."

This answer was vague and skeptical, but I didn't push it. Though I never sat on the beach at night before, it looked mesmerizing with a full moon and soft waves washing the shore.

When Cam found a spot close to the water, he collapsed on the sand and set the beer bottles beside him. I slowly plopped down beside him and put my heels aside. He opened one bottle and handed me, then opened one for himself.

I took a long sip, staring at the beautiful scenery of the ocean before me. I was already tipsy after two glasses of wine, but beer didn't hurt in this setting. There was just something weird in the air, words unspoken, tension unsolved, and I was dying to learn what was bothering him. But at the same time, I didn't want to invade his space—even though he offered to share it with me.

I set my eyes on him as he stared at the ocean with an expressionless face. I wondered what they fought over with Olivia, but he didn't seem to be in the mood to tell me about it. I sipped on my beer again and cleared my throat.