Old Friends

Narrator POV

The class was silent as the officers introduced themselves and shared stories about their background and work history. Upon seeing these two familiar faces, Tom and Y/N shared a glance with each other, not liking where this presentation might go.

The two tried not to draw much attention to themselves, hoping the two officers didn't recognize them.

Officer Peralta's POV

Before coming to Ridgeview High, we were told a lot about it's past scandals involving mass bullying, abuse of power within the faculty and drug abuse among students. Today many of my colleagues and I came to talk with the students and share the consequences of their actions.

Walking into Mr. Evans class with Officer Diaz following in, I noticed some familiar faces that I thought I wouldn't see again. But, I decided to ignore them and instead speak with them after.

"Does anyone here know someone who has used or uses drugs? Whether it be prescribed or not." I ask looking around the class. "Don't worry, we won't ask any further questions about who or what." Diaz said right after making the class laugh before more students hesitantly raised their hands.

Diaz and I noticed a lot of the class put their hands up, including Tom and Y/N.

"Officers and law enforcement that work with schools and students are responsible for safety and crime prevention in schools... "

We continued our lecture and made sure that the students were engaged and aware of what we were talking about, and that this wasn't a typical boring lecture where we spoke the entire time. We got them to speak and share about their own personal story, and made sure they all had a takeaway from this.

By the end of their period, Mr. Evans spoke quickly to his students as Diaz and I were packing up some stuff. The students were making their way for lunch but I was able to ask Mr. Evans to stop Y/N and Tom from leaving so we could speak to them shortly.

After hearing that two officers wanted to talk to them, the other students quickly looked over at them, sending questionable and doubtful stares. These students are such gossipers.

The two made their way towards the front of the class as students started leaving.

"How about we take this outside?" Officer Diaz suggested as she walked towards the door.

+++

Sitting outside on a picnic table, the tension in the air was rising. I was surprised the two weren't going at each other. Last time I saw them, they almost killed each other.

I was surprised out of all places they could possibly be, they were here together in the same school. The same class even.

Tom's POV

I was sitting beside Y/N waiting for one of the officers to speak up. I didn't know what was going to happen, and I sure know Y/N didn't want to be here.

"I'm surprised to see you two together again." Officer Diaz said, making Y/N look up quickly. "Oh, were not- I don't- he-..." She stuttered.

"We aren't together." I said for her. I noticed her gaze fall back to her lap as Officer Diaz leaned back off the table as I watched their eyes move between us.

"So how are you both in the same school again?" Officer Peralta asked and I looked over at Y/N who was already looking at me before she said, "It's a long story."

Y/N explained how she moved away from her last school and transferred here. She also talked about how she isn't involved in any street gangs or riots anymore. On the other hand, I explained how I moved here because of my dad, and that I haven't been getting in any trouble and just want to pass senior year quietly.

"Now, why do you guys want to talk to us?" I asked.

"We just want to check up on you two. We haven't heard anything from you guys in months." Officer Diaz says pulling out her phone and sliding it towards us.

It showed a photo of our old records and some of our old friends.

"We saw them not too long ago. Some of them actually are doing really well. They have jobs, better grades."

"And the others?" Y/N mumbled.

"Well, let's just say they aren't at their best right now." Y/N sighed. I knew she missed them and so do I, but sometimes people just don't change or realise they should.

"Well, if that's all then." Y/N stood up and grabbed her backpack that was on the ground before turning to walk away. "It was great seeing you guys again." But before she could make it far, Officer Peralta stopped her.

"Actually, could you do us a favor." She turned around, waiting to hear the rest of his request. "We'd like to speak with both of you longer for more important matters. But we can't discuss them here."

"Sure, Tom knows where to find me." Without letting us stop her or add something into the conversation, she ran off.

"Sorry about her. You know how she is." The two officers nodded. Besides me and our friends, these two knew Y/N very well. "I guess some things never change. She's still as stubborn as ever."

"Well she did have you as a parole officer." Officer Peralta jokes.

"Anyways, I'm sure you still have my number. Just let me know what day and time works best for you. I'll figure out how to get Y/N." I tell the two. Officer Diaz handed me a paper, where I wrote her address down.

"She also has a job now. I wrote it down as well just in case." I handed back the paper before getting up as well. "I was nice to see you guys again." I tell them before heading off.

Narrator POV

As Tom walked off trailing behind Y/N, the two officers watched as their figures disappeared from their sight.

"We should ask them." Peralta asks but already knows what answer he'd be getting. "There's no way they'll help. It's too much for them. Physically and mentally." Diaz replies as they head towards their car.

"But it's worth a shot."

+++

Not far from the table the four were just sitting in, their whole conversation was heard from behind a few trees.

"They're friends with the fucking cops?!"

"I dunno man. But they seem pretty close."

"Pretty close?! They're asking for their help! The new girl, and Tom Holland? That makes no sense."

"Well... we'll just have to keep an eye on them."

xxx

Author's Note :

2 years later and she's back with updates and a better writing style and ideas