16. Second Chances

tw// smoking, death

-Narrator POV-

Y/N ran away from the park, away from Tom, away from her problems once again. It was something she adapted to. Running towards the building, she decided to take the stairs not wanting to wait in an elevator when she could run up faster.

She bursted through the door letting it fall shut behind her. Once she was alone she finally let the tears fall down her cheeks. It was hard for her to talk about her friendships at home because they seemed to all crumble the last few months. Especially when Tom left them all.

Scrambling into her room, she opened a drawer pulling out a cigarette box and lighter. She shoved it into her pocket and made her way to the rooftop.

It was a bit chiller than she'd prefer but the heat coming from the cancer stick was all she needed. The sky was dark with stars shining throughout. Y/N sat on the edge, her feet dangling below her. She looked at the city lights and wanted to disappear in them.

Remembering her friends back home, she knew that they didn't have it easy either. She knew that some of them were still fighting, maybe even on non-speaking terms. Claire is going through her pregnancy, not to mention a break up. Everyone else, they're trying to live their lives and move on.

Move on.

Moving on was hard when the memories of being at her two of her closest friends' funeral just didn't sit right with her.

People said that this was inevitable for them, that they wanted this, it just made her feel worse. Like their death meant nothing to families. Sure, they'd been suicidal before but they grew away from it. She just didn't know how to break it to Tom.

It was something she wanted to do but had troubles with. She didn't know how he'd react. Would he be upset? Angry? Or.. relieved like how some people were. She knew the longer she'd keep it away from him, it would just make him more upset.

'I'll tell him... then it'll all be over. It'll be over.'

Maybe this is an awakening for her. She may not be on the best terms with some people here, but at least she has acquaintances, maybe even friends.

She's gotten herself a job. Something she's been wanting to get for a long time.

Maybe this is where she'll pull herself together and make something of herself.

A new city, new people, a new life.

This is her second chance. The chance she won't mess up.

Tonight was the night she'd promise herself to change her ways. She'd take her job seriously. Stop running from her problems. She'd start to take her education seriously.

In baby steps.