17. Siblings

-Narrator POV-

It had been a week since Tom and Y/N's little 'meeting' in the park. The two would pass by each other often, but Y/N wouldn't spare him a glance. Tom hoped that maybe after their little moment at the park would bring back their friendship. Or enough to bring them to talking terms.

School was uneventful for the past week. The group of boys haven't bothered anyone the past few days since Dylan didn't show up.

"That concludes this week's math lesson. Enjoy your weekend everyone." Mr. Evans had said while students started walking out.

As Y/N was packing her stuff up, the teacher walked over to Harrison and started to talk to him about his punishment from last week.

"You need to bring in your survey I handed to you by the end of next week, do you understand." Harrison simply nodded. "Good, you're lucky I've extended the due day by a few days so I expect it to be completed by then." The teacher finished, leaving him to his own devices.

Meanwhile, Y/N was walking out the classroom before turning around to catch three pairs of eyes already looking back at her. Feeling a rush of uncomfort, she quickly made her way out of the class and headed straight to her apartment to get ready for work.

It's been almost a week since Y/N and Ross started their job and they were very grateful that Erin gave them this amazing opportunity. After taking a shower and grabbing her other bag, she locked the door and made her way down the building.

+++

"You can't leave! We're older than you so you have to listen to us"! Multiple voices boomed down the alley where the girl was walking. "Why do you always leave anyways?!" To the girl's curiosity, she followed where they were coming from and found 3 people standing around another in an alleyway. Y/N couldn't make out who they were.

One was a girl, with blonde hair that reached just past her shoulders, the other two, boys. One with short blonde hair and had tattoos down his arms. The other with longer brown hair. In the middle, the fourth person, someone Y/N least expected.

Ross?

Y/N didn't want to meddle with Ross and his personal life. She had no right to. They weren't even friends, so why would she help him.

It wasn't until a hand was raised up, seemingly to send a slap across the boy's face, that Y/N would intrude.

"Is there a problem here?" She asked, gripping the tattooed arm in her hand. "It's none of your fucking buisness kid. Get lost." He said, ripping his arm out of her grip.

"Y/N it's fine, I really don't need your help." Ross had finally spoken up catching everyone's attention. "You know her?" The blonde asks. Ross simply stayed silent.

"I'm really sorry for interrupting your little gathering, but we have somewhere to be right now." He obliged when she grabbed his wrist and dragged him away from the small group, without a fight or argument made in the process.

+++

The two were far from the alleyway and instinctively made their way to work. They walked side by side in piercing awkward silence. Y/N didn't know if asking what happened was something she should do. Ross didn't know if he was comfortable sharing his personal problems with her.

Heck, it hasn't even been a semester since they met, and there she was seeing his own family go against him. They weren't even close enough for that information to be shared.

"You're bleeding." She points out to the corners of his lip as they near the neon signs of the night club. "Listen, I really didn't need your help back there..." he started, but tensed up when she wiped the corner of his mouth with her thumb. 

"...but thanks." She hummed in response.

+++

The night was long, tiring, and extremely busy. Tonight was one of the busiest nights of their week. Ross was busy serving food, moving in and out of the kitchen. Tonight, Y/N was working at the bar, serving and making drinks.

Both didn't mind all the work and tasks.

To them, working here was a getaway. A place with no teachers, no need for a mean demeanor, and no need to put up a cold front in front of everyone. They didn't have to worry about anything but focusing on what they were doing. The money was an added bonus and motivation.

They'd been tipped fairly well many times, and also got nice compliments for doing well. It was a good ego boost for them.

By the end of their shift, there were only a few people left in the club. The music died down, and people started to clean up their stations. This was the first time Y/N walked out from behind the bar counter, as she made her way to the break room.

On her way, she felt someone watching her go in, but she let it slide. She reached into her bag to pull out her phone. '11.23'  flashed on the screen. She slid it into her pocket and grabbed a water bottle. Everyone finished cleaning up and prepping for tomorrow and made their way grabbing their belongings and heading home.

On her way out, Y/N stopped in her tracks hearing an unfamiliar voice singing as a piano was being played. She couldn't spot the person singing, but she enjoyed the soothing voice of whoever it was. The sound of the piano was melodic, and it was such a beautiful piece.

+++

The girl walked in the moonlight covered streets passing dark empty alleys, just wanting to lay in bed and sleep in till late tomorrow. She made it to the building and walked into the lobby. As she makes her way to the elevator, she feels like her tired eyes are playing tricks on her.

Just to be sure, she rushes out to see if it was indeed just her imagination. 

But alas, it wasn't.

Seated at each end of one couch in the lobby were two people she wouldn't expect to be in the same room, let alone sitting on the same couch,

"What do you guys want?"

+++

Sorry for the long wait! Here's a smaller chapter than usual, but don't worry I've got a few things planned as well for my other books.

Hoping to start updating more soon :)