1. Nighttime Food Runs

- Second POV -

You're laying in bed wondering why the heck you were still up. You turned to your side to check the time on your phone, it read 11:22. You weren't surprised that you were still up, you've been dealing with insomnia for years now, but you wondered what to do since your mind and body refused to go to bed.

That's when you thought about going to the convenience store a few minutes away from your apartment.

You grabbed your jacket, slipped your shoes on and grabbed your keys, phone and wallet then walked out of the door. Walking outside you took your time to take in the beautiful scenery of the night life. You're from (h/t/n) but you recently moved to Montreal. You've only been here for 2 months.

Thoughts of why you left flooded your mind.

You wanted to get away from your past. From the pain. From the people. But honestly, it was hard. Not only did you move away from your hometown, you also left your younger brother, Mark, with your aunt. He's better off with her anyways. You're a mess that can't even take care of herself.

Shaking the thought out of your head, you reached the store. You walked in and proceeded to grab your favourite drink and bag of chips. You walked to the cashier to check out your items.

"Hello" The cashier said in a monotone voice.

"Hey" You replied back, not wanting to provoke a conversation.

You watched him as he scanned your stuff. Your eyes fell upon him and his wavy, dark brown hair, which was swept to one side. You've been to this store many times but you never took the time to ever notice the cashier and his features. He looked back up and to his surprise your eyes were already on his dark ones.

"5.50." He said, his eyes never leaving your figure as you reached in your pocket to grab the money.

"You come here quite often, quite late as well." He states as you hand the money to him.

"What can I say, I get hungry a lot." He laughs at the statement.

"Insomnia." That's all you say as he nodded and you grab your stuff.

"Same here." You look up to see him already looking at you. You tilted your head to the side

"That's why I always take the night shifts." You nodded, unsure of what to say next

"I'm Cole by the way." He says with a small smile

"Y/N" You said extending your hand out to shake his

"I hope to see you around more often" A smile lingers on his face as he says that

"You might, you might not.. who knows when the next time I have troubles sleeping is."

"I hope it's soon, so that you come back soon." He says, as you walk towards the door

"Nice meeting you Cole."

+++

He was kinda nice, you internally thought to yourself. That's when it hit you...

You need to start meeting more people before school starts in a few weeks. You just hope school here isn't going to be a repeat of last year. You needed more friends, or acquaintances at least, was the new though filling your head

It's almost midnight, but you know for a fact that falling asleep would be an impossible challenge, so you walk to a nearby park and sit on one of the benches. As if it were on queue you got a text from your younger brother, Mark.

Markie🍉

Markie🍉:

Hey y/n how's everything there?

Y/N

Everything's been ok so far.. just kinda

lonely I guess

Markie🍉:

Yeah, but at least you're away from those jerks. Looks like you won't be getting into any trouble there right?

Y/N

Let's just hope so

Markie🍉:

Y/N seriously, you shouldn't be getting into fights

That's why you left, remember.

Y/N

Ya whatever

Markie🍉:

Don't forget to take your pills.. dude did you get

new antidepressants? What about those sleeping pills?

Y/N

Ya, I got some last week. I still have

enough of the sleeping pills.

Markie🍉:

Ok please, take care I gotta go help make lunch.

Dude please try to get some sleep. Goodnight Y/N

Y/N

Good night Mark

+++

After you text Mark, you slip your phone into your pocket and start walking to your apartment. It wasn't the prettiest, or the biggest, but it was enough for you and your budget. Your aunt paid for the first year of rent and utilities, so you had a whole year to save and earn money for food and necessities. 

But that was going to be a little hard since you didn't have a job.

Entering the apartment, you lock the door behind you and toss your keys on the small table by the doorway.

You walk over to your living room area and plop yourself down on your couch, turning on your tv to watch your favourite show on Netflix.

After turning on your show, you grab your drink and chips. You glance at the time displayed on the corner of the tv, 11:56. Almost midnight and yet here you are indulging yourself in chips and Netflix. 

But you've done worse.

Opening your bag of chips, you notice a sticky note stuck on the front. You take it off and take a closer look to what was written on it...

Hope to see you more

Hit me up sometime, Cole ( xxx-xxx-xxxx )

You smile trying to recall if you saw him write sometime down while you were in there, but honestly you couldn't remember. He must have written it while I was looking around, you thought to yourself. But this was one good way to end your day on a high note, and hopefully the start of a new friendship... and maybe some free snacks

+++

Hey everyone! Hope you enjoyed this chapter, and I apologize for my terrible writing at the moment, but I'm sure it will improve over time.

This chapter only had Cole introduced in it, but don't worry, everyones going to be introduced soon, in the next few chapters. Then the fun can start

Let me know if you find any mistakes and I'll go back to fix them :)

And if you have any plot ideas, please comment on them and I'll see what I can do.. I suffer from some serious writer's block sometimes, so anything helps really :)