End of an Era

The Red Keep, King's Landing

103 AC

Jaehaera stood next to Vermithor as she stared at the funeral pyre, wearing a black dress. Her father finished his speech.

Vermithor stood still, pressing closer to comfort her. I'll miss him. the bronze dragon sighed.

So will I. Jaehaera agreed. But—but you know what to do.

The court was watching the six year old princess and the colossal bronze dragon. Vermithor swung his jaws open and blasted Jaehaerys funeral pyre with bronze flames.

"By the Seven." Aemma whispered as the bronze dragon roared at Ryam Redwyne as he tried to approach the new heir to the Iron Throne, before Jaehaera reached up and he lowered his head, allowing the violet eyed princess to calm him.

"Its a sign." Viserys whispered. "She is to be Queen after me."

The Bronze Fury curled himself up around Jaehaera, his giant head next to her tiny body as they watched the bronze flames swallow up the Conciliator.

After all, no dragon had been claimed so fast, and even if that happened, they willingly let themselves be claimed. It was a sign that the dragon had chosen its next rider.

The King's Solar, Maegor's Holdfast

103 AC

"I don't know how she did it." Viserys burst out after a tense silence in his solar. "Even you waited until you were six and ten before claiming Caraxes, Daemon."

"Grandfather took her flying often on Vermithor, and so the Bronze Fury is obviously fond of her. And we can't do anything about it. Vermithor chose Jaehaera as his rider." the Queen Who Never Was added. "We can't do anything about it."

"It makes sense now. According to the Dragonkeepers, Jaehaerys was teaching Jaehaera how to ride dragons and how to fly. They didn't think much that Vermithor let Jaehaera ride him without Jaehaerys. Looking back, we should have seen it coming now." Daemon groaned.

"Rhaenyra has also claimed a dragon from the Dragonpit. Syrax, she's named her she dragon." Aemma added hesitantly.

"I'm proud but exasperated." Viserys said. "They could have at least waited for us to supervise."

"Unlike Vermithor, Syrax is not yet full grown. In a year or two yes, but Syrax is still an adolescent dragon." Rhaenys pointed out.

"Fair. But now, we must focus on keeping the Seven Kingdoms together. Rhaenys, I want you as my Hand."

Shocked silence descended upon the room. "You are the best choice, Rhaenys. You are family, and we can rule like we planned back when Uncle Aemon was alive. You as Queen, and I as the Hand. Father trained me for that position."

Rhaenys smiled. "I am honor to serve you... cousin."

That is today's chapter. I hope you all enjoyed it.