forty-seven

Damian's POV

I am a coward.

And a horrible person.

It was painful for me to be away from Marinette, and my family noticed the change in my behavior.

Luckily, Grayson was sworn to secrecy, so not even he could tease me about it. Not with the ever prying eyes around us.

I loved hearing her voice, even if it was just through the phone.

But I hid her from my family because I thought they would ruin it by scaring her off. Truth is, I was doing that by abruptly ending our phone calls without an explanation. But she knew, Marinette always did.

It was hard on the both of us, the time zones were taking a strain on us because we both had school.

So I decided to cut her off. As Grayson would say, I ghosted her. It was mutual, but I initiated it.

I grew more moody and irritable than usual, and my brothers suspected there was a reason behind this change.

Still, my sketchbooks were filled with pages of her face, and her bluebell eyes. She inhabited my thoughts, and I couldn't get rid of her. It was like she owned a piece of my soul that I had gladly handed over to her. And I hated how she had that power over me.

I silently walked down to the BatCave, right before patrol, only to see Grayson, Todd, and Drake conspiring against me.

Todd began, "It's got to be a girl. Come on Dickie-Bird, something had to have happened to him in Paris. I've never seen Demon Spawn have emotions like this, let alone have mood swings!"

"Dick, if he met a girl in the City of Love, you have to tell us!" Drake practically begged.

"He didn't. I think he just hit a mental wall in his training. He'll be himself in no time," Grayson smoothly lies. Grayson is loyal to a fault, he can lie to save other people, but not himself.

I can see by their faces that Drake believes the oldest Robin, but Todd questions Grayson.

"If you tell me about Damian's girl, I'll talk to Wonder Woman about borrowing her invisible jet. She owes me one, and this way you can go visit Kor'i." Todd offered.

It was a tempting offer, as I could see the falter in Grayson's gaze.

I fear my secrets are about to be outed. If everyone thought I was being moody, Grayson was worse. Kor'i had left almost a year ago to go take care of her home planet. He couldn't even look at mustard without getting teary.

Grayson sighs, "I can't—"

I enter the BatCave, and they all go silent. Drake turns back to the BatComputer, and Todd stalks off, muttering something about polishing his helmet.

I follow Todd, as he pulls out his helmet. I change into my uniform, and then join Grayson as he looks over Drake's shoulder to the BatComputer.

Grayson smiles when he sees me, and I balk at his joy. It's always excessive.

"Little D, are you ready for Gotham U? Ready to be a knight like your brother?" Grayson not so subtly flexes, as we prepare for tonight.

Drake rolls his eyes, "Gotham U has nothing compared to Harvard or Yale," he brags.

"You never went to real college, all your classes are online," Todd points out. "And you graduated in like—two years. College is for the experience."

"And yet you never went," Drake pushes back.