twenty-three

꧁꧂꧁꧂꧁꧂

Damian's POV

"Marinette!" I yelled, as people filtered out of the safety shelters, finally knowing we were safe. "Marinette!"

But I couldn't find her.

People pull out their phones, watching the news. "Don't be bemused, it's just the news. Nadja Chamack here, Stormy Weather has struck again! Luckily, Ladybug, Chat Noir, and Princess Honey have saved the day once again—"

I pushed through the crowd, ignoring the odd looks and the annoyed shouts at me. "Marinette!"

"Damian!"

I froze, and turned towards the feminine voice who called my name.

It was my Angel.

There she stood in the middle of the street, her hair in soft curls, perfectly framing her face and blue eyes. Marinette was wearing a white long sleeve shirt, with a black dress that had ties. Her platform converses helped her height, but not by much. She clutched her purse, almost as if it was grounding her place, a habit I noticed she did a lot. She was safe, and in one piece.

I ran over to her and hugged her.

At first, she seemed surprised at my outgoing physical touch, but then she melted into the hug.

"Why do you always disappear during the akuma attacks?" I whisper into her ear.

Marinette pulls back slightly, "You don't trust me?"

"Why don't you go to the shelters with everybody else?" I question.

"I have to check in on my parents," she explains, stepping back out of my embrace. Her fingers tap on the strap of her purse, leading to believe that she's lying to me.

"Tt. Real reason?" I asked, crossing my arms across my chest. 

"If we go to the safety shelters, I'll be with the rest of the class. I'll be near Lila in a confined space. I can't be around her. I just can't. Especially around the class." Marinette says softly. Tears begin forming in her eyes, and my heart breaks. I want to shield her from the world, and never let another thing hurt her.

I offer my arms up wide, and this time, Marinette is quick to hug me.

From this forward, I vowed that Lila Rossi would pay.

꧁꧂꧁꧂꧁꧂

After Marinette had calmed down, and gone home safely, Grayson picked me up and took me back to the apartment.

I hated it there.

I wanted to get out of Paris.

We were barely allowed out on patrol, and I hadn't fought a villain in months. I was getting antsy, because of how much I was holding back. I needed to work off some steam.

"Let's go back to Gotham today," Dick suggests to me, splaying out on the couch.

"Really?" I ask. We've been here for almost 3 months, and we haven't gone home. We promised we would visit on the weekends, but the situation in Parks seemed much more tense than we initially thought.

"Yeah," Dick answers back, "Things have cooled down in Paris, and besides, we're only a Boom Tube away. Besides, it might be good for Robin and Nightwing to be seen on a patrol in Gotham."

I nod, "When do we leave?"

Grayson stretches, "In 5."

"Does Father know we're coming back?"