fifty-seven

Marinette's POV

Even though I was now officially part of the Bat Team, and I had shared my identity with them, I was only allowed to patrol the city.

I couldn't fight any supervillains, or gang leader. I had to stick to the little stuff.

It was frustrating to say the least, but nothing Damian or I said could change that. For now.

Stick to the shadows, Batman said. So I did.

It was probably a good thing, because I noticed things about Gotham that they didn't.

As villainous attacks became less and less common, which was usual for the summer, they didn't notice that more criminals seemed to overrun the city.

I noticed more sticking to the darkness, waiting. For what, I didn't know.

On a regular basis, I began to see assassins. Ninjas. I didn't know what to call them.

Once, they spotted me, but I would easily lose them.

I brought it up to the Bruce once, but he didn't seem concerned. At least, I couldn't tell because his face was as expressive as a brick wall.

I felt like I was being treated like a child.

I didn't want to vent to Damian, because this was his family. I knew that he would see my side, but I didn't want to seem like I was complaining to him.

So when we were going over the patrol routes, yet again, I bit my tongue.

Even when I felt a chill in the room, I stayed silent. I ignored the feeling in my stomach, because the BatCave was always cold from the water around us and the cave system deep below us.

But when I looked at Damian, I could instantly read off of his face that he would feel it too.

Jason turned around, away from Bruce, his hand on his holster. Batman instantly went silent, and we knew we were not alone in the cave.

Tim edged towards the BatComputer, ready to put us on lockdown.

From the stalactites above, a shadowy figure dropped.

Warm, dark brown hair swathed the figure, lean but muscular, with swords strapped on the person's back. She reached towards her face, and took off her mask.

A deadly beauty exuded from her. She looked Middle Eastern, she looked... like Damian.

Painted red lips curved into a smile as the BatFamily immediately switched into defensive positions, weapons drawn. They were more than wary of this woman, but they still allowed her in.

High heels clicked across the stone floor, and she stood only a mere fifteen feet away, for her safety or ours, I did not know.

I looked towards Damian for an answer, but he didn't bother to look at me. Instead, he was gritting his teeth behind a face that reflected no emotion.

"Talia." Batman said emotionlessly.

"Mother," Damian said distastefully.

So she was his mother.

"Beloved. Son." The woman addresses them in order.

Talia Al Ghul.

I didn't know the full story of what happened between Damian and his mother, but it still makes me nervous. Why would she show up at a time like this?

"Damian. You look well." Her eyes skin over the group, not even acknowledging Tim or Dick. She stops when she sees me on her son's side. "Ah, yes. Miss Marinette Dupain-Cheng. It's nice to meet you in person." I stood up a little straighter, as she studies me carefully.