forty-eight

Marinette's POV

Gotham was everything I needed it to be. The change of pace away from Paris was freeing. Patrol helped me to keep a steady routine. Everyone was welcoming, except for Robin. Batman felt wary of me, but then again, it was the Batman. I don't know what else I was supposed to expect from him.

After patrol, it was draining to return to Paris and back to Gotham, but I would do anything to protect my identity. I couldn't afford to get caught.

I searched for the last known locations of the Peacock Miraculous in Gotham, but every night, I would come up with nothing. All the warehouses or abandoned buildings were mysteriously empty. I was running out of ideas.

Tikki and the rest of the kwamis helped me, and tried to encourage me, but to little avail. But we weren't even halfway through the summer, I had time.

Last night, I had stayed out a little too late, collapsing against my bed right before sunrise. That, everybody, was the reason why I was chugging an energy drink and saving another in my bag for later. I knew I would need it to survive the rest of the day.

This summer, I decided to take a fashion course before all my classes would start in the fall. My plan was the double major in Business and Fashion at Gotham University.

I almost cursed when I saw the time, and realized I had fallen into old habits.

I was late.

I locked my apartment behind me, and ran down the building and across the street. I dodged all the students walking around campus, until I finally made it to the auditorium.

No one paid attention to me, the lights were off, and they were reviewing fashion shows from this year. I smiled when some of my own designs had made it to the screen, especially the dress I had made for Selina Kyle.

I tiptoed down to the front of the grand room, in the only empty seat I could see. I was careful to not block anyone's view and just calmly sat in my seat.

I had work red, classy high heels, with black slacks, and a red blouse with a sweetheart neckline. I loved red and black, these were the colors that Ladybug wore, and they always gave me the confidence I needed.

I had barely been late, so no one paid attention to me, luckily.

The lights turned on, and the lady in the front stood next to her podium. "I am Ms. Klemyne, and welcome to Gotham University's Intro to Fashion Program this summer. Now, after reviewing the spring and summer collection of the most successful brands, are there any common themes for this year? And if so, what would be continued into the fall?"

A few students raised their hands, but a loud noise came from backstage, as if a clutter had fell over.

Ms. Klemyne roll her eyes and paused, "One moment, let me make sure that everything is fine back there." She power walks in her high heels behind the red curtains, and leaves us alone.

Whispers break throughout the auditorium, and another, louder, clatter is heard.

We silence ourselves, and my back breaks out in chills. Something's wrong.

The large, velvet red curtains are cast aside, slightly ripping at the top. A man is at the center of the stage, and Ms. Klemyne is no where to be seen. He wears a slim, black tuxedo, and a top hat, that's pulled over his face to cover it.

A few people stand up at the sight, and look towards the exits. They are suddenly blocked by armed gunman, and that's when the real panic begins. It was now a hostage situation.

Welcome to Gotham City, Marinette. You're gonna love it.

"Welcome, welcome all! To summer school. Class is now in session." The man greets, his face still covered by his low slung hat.