sixty-four

Damian's POV

Our pasts were both from the League of Assassins in a way, it's fickle how fate works.

It meant that I would've met Marinette no matter what. Our destinies were intertwined. Our paths were always going to cross.

Whether she was raised in the League alongside me, or became Ladybug in Paris, we would've been in each other's life.

I know that's not how she saw it. For Marinette, it meant that her heritage was a lie. And she valued the truth and honesty almost all over virtues, after what happened with Lila. I didn't blame her, liars were frustrating to deal with, even more so if their words were believed.

I call her name, "Marinette?"

"Yes, Damian?" She asked absentmindedly, working on her upcoming business presentation. She was sorted flashcards before she switched to another task.

I grabbed her hand gently, stopping her from typing on the computer. Her eyes meet mine, and she gives me the attention I require. I ask her, "Would you like to accompany me to the Charity Ball hosted by the Gotham Police Department?"

A flash of hesitation ignites in her eyes, but she answers, "Yes I would love to!"

I comment, "I'm sensing a but..."

I internally panicked, had she said yes to anyone else?

I'm half comforted when my angel answers me, "But I'm already going to the charity ball. My design got the most votes in the fashion department, so I get to make it, and it'll get auctioned off for charity. I have to go in early to set it up." She admitted, her cheeks flamed out of embarrassment.

"We can just meet up inside?" I offered, hoping to keep her mind away from overthinking.

"Perfect!" She answered. "We can coordinate our outfits if you want to?"

"Gladly." I answered her.

Two weeks later, the Charity Ball came. It happened before Thanksgiving, and marked the beginning of the holiday season in Gotham.

I had no reason to look forward to it, except for this year.

I trailed behind Father and his girlfriend, Selina, who I suspected would become part of the family before long. Dick and Tim were behind me, and Jason opted not to come.

The photographers all became illuminated at once, flashing at us to take the perfect picture for their respective newspapers.

I wore a dusty purple tie, the only hint Marinette had said regarding her dress, nothing less than a hint.

It vexed me as she had shown the dress to my brothers, as they teased me at the state I'd be in when I first saw it.

"Damian, you're in for it this time," Todd had said, and cackled at me.

He was right.

Marinette's dress was the closest thing that she had worn that did her true justice.

The purple dress was elegant, she looked like an angel. It was a one shouldered dress, but the other sleeve descended to the floor below. The dulled fabric was wrapped purposefully around her core, before falling in swathes to the ground. What killed me was the slit that ran to her upper thigh, though slightly covered by her long sleeve.

She had matching heels to her dress, and small diamond earrings adorned her ears. Tikki must've changed their appearance for Marinette's sake.

My angel was perfect.