sixty-three

Marinette's POV

I found Dick once again, in the kitchen snacking on cereal.

"Marinette! Should Damian feel jealous because you're spending time with me?" Dick teased.

"No, I came here because you said we'd finish that conversation later." And I intended to finish it.

"Where's Dami?" Dick asked me again.

I shrugged, "He's on patrol tonight with Jason instead. Jason actually asked me to switch so that he could focus on a project of his."

Dick questioned, "Project?"

"I didn't care to ask him what it was about. I'm m already holding too many secrets." I told Dick, and he laughed. "And after this I'm working with Alfred on my new suit."

Dick looked puzzle. "I thought Tikki could just change your suit?"

"It's a back up suit. I shouldn't always rely on her," I lied. I had the balance of the world at my hand, and I was playing a dangerous balancing act. "Is Damian

"Yeah, I think it's because we played a prank on him. We do it all the time to each other. But this time we got him good, it's the first time in pretty much 10 years we caught him off guard. Damian is always prepared, even when's he's asleep. He's going soft, and he has to realize that it's okay."

"He's going soft because of me." I stated.

Dick assured me, "Yeah, and it's not a bad thing. But he's let down his guard for the first time in existence, so he probably feels conflicted. Damian's life is determined by rules, and now he has broken the ones most ingrained into his mind. Just be there for him, and I'll tell Jason and Tim to back off for a sec."

"Thanks, Dick." I turned to go to the cave, where Alfred was probably waiting for me.

"Hey! I answered your questions, you have to answer some of mine." Dick crossed his arms, as playful as a child.

"Okay?" I asked in confusion. "Ask away."

"Why were you chosen as Ladybug?"

I smiled, "I saved an old man crossing the street—he was about to get hit with a car. He turned out to be the previous owner, and secretly gave me Tikki. She took care of the rest, until he was sure I could be trusted." I conveniently forgot to mention that
I was the now the Guardian of the Miraculous. The less people that knew, the better.

Master Fu's memories were wiped upon making me the owner of the Miraculous. That would happen to me one day too, unless I died early. I thought about my life, both inside and outside the mask, and I didn't want to forget any of it. But it was a necessary evil.

Dick opened his mouth to ask another question, but Tim came running in, "Cassandra's back!"

"Cass is back!" Dick celebrated, and dragged me out of the kitchen and down to the cave.

I saw the smiling girl, as she gave hugs to her brothers, as Bruce Wayne's only adopted daughter.

She looked familiar. Like a ghost of the past.

Dick waved a hand towards me, "This is--"

"Marinette." She answered, a confused look in her eyes. Her face did not move an inch, but recognition flashed in her eye.

"Cassandra." I repeated slowly.

I knew her. Where did I know her from?

"Family." Cassandra said.

Jason answered, "Yeah, she's part of the family now. She's Ladybug—or Karma now, I guess."

Cassandra shook her head, and pointed between the two of us. "Family. Blood."