02. A Closed Book

********

********

The mid of November turned out freshly cold and rainy in Houston that year, forcing the people to carry jackets and umbrellas all the time. The usual babbling of the students were echoing from every nook of the vast modern classroom which was more like a hall. Singing, playing, cheering, gossiping, everything can be witnessed there. The boys were mostly howling about sports and games whereas the girls had just inaugurated a hidden salon.

The 18 year old Ayzel Hamdan was settled on the rear seat of the left column of the hall and was just beside the passage separating the two columns of chairs. With an opened and pressed book under her forearms on the table, she had her head slightly leaned on it and a pen clutched in her slender fingers, persistently tapping on the table. With a boring sigh, she turned at her left where Huda's hand was fleeting on the paper to reinscribe her stolen assignment.

Belonging to the same Muslim minority, Huda was Ayzel's only friend since she had taken admission in one of the prestigious and high ranked universities of U.S.A.

They resembled in thoughts, choices, class but the difference mainly lied in their dressing style. Huda was always dressed in Abaya and Headscarf whereas Ayzel had adopted western style, thinking it might curtail the discrimination of her being Muslim. Moreover, Huda was emotional and sensitive whereas Ayzel had a hot head and would easily get tempered by the violation of Huda's rights and bullying from other students.

There were 15 minutes in Professor David's class. Both were aware that this stealing act was done by the wicked and bullying students, knowing that David, whose heart was tainted with immense loathe for Muslims, would roar on Huda like a dinosaur and for this quality, he was popular in the class as 'Professor Dino'.

"Let me write it Huda. You'll tire out." Ayzel offered sincerely the umpteenth time.

After glancing at Ayzel with her big cerulean orbs, Huda hopelessly shook her head.

"I'm already tired of these. Now I start to feel that maybe they'll not let me make up till even the first exams." Huda whispered in her soft and broken voice before reverting back to her assignment but Ayzel noticed the glistening water in her orbs.

"Don't say like that." Ayzel placed her left hand tenderly on Huda's shoulder, receiving no response.

"You also have right on this university.. Let's complain in the management. We're Muslims doesn't label us as their properties." Ayzel's condoling voice turned a bit intense at the end, as if reminding her ownself.

Huda's fleeting hand halted for few seconds and she turned her head in Ayzel's direction only to catch her orbs watching sympathetically at her. A light drop of tear absconded the corner of her eye as she shook her head woefully.