10. In A Quandary

********

********

The freezing gusts clashed with the shut windows of hostel, desperate to peer in but failing everytime. The small room was dim and cozy as the silent sobs sprinkled gloominess around and those silent tears were stroking the soft skin of Ayzel's phiz. The clock ticked 5:40 yet the brain didn't surrender to slumber and kept agonizing the owner with flashbacks of the previous night.

Hugging the knees till her chest and resting her chin on them, Ayzel was weeping inaudibly too low. Her mind and heart both felt heavier as mountains. The tear stricken face was proclaiming she had been crying since hours... 3 hours. Beside her on another bed, Huda had been in a deep slumber but Ayzel couldn't forget the hysterical cries of her few hours ago.

"I don't want to live like this.. I wish I could go back to my parents!"

Her words still rang in her ears. Ayzel had been all along consoling her but when Huda said something between her hysterical sobs, Ayzel was stricken with something new.

"This world isn't made f-for me, it's for rich and powerful people like Cade.. who have no one to question them or t-take action against them..."

The same thoughts had been half the reason why Ayzel was silently shedding tears, careful not to disturb Huda. This was what differed them emotionally. Huda never hid her tears and pain but Ayzel always did. Where she would appear courageous and joyful, there would be many nights she'd be inaudibly sobbing her heart out.

Rubbing her tears away, Ayzel pilled off the blanket and getting down the bed, she checked on Huda who had her back to her and was fast asleep with Abaya and Scarf still worn. Ayzel tenderly set the blanket over her.

A bundle of guilts were surrounded around her mind. One was forcing Huda to tag along with her to the concert when she had a point in staying back at midnight and another...

Her orbs lowered to the royal blue band secured around her wrist and her finger tips reflexively landed on them. The wound wasn't bleeding anymore. Her mind had been too packed to even care to get her wrist a proper bandage.

Even now, the thought of treatment was replaced by the memory of someone shielding her. That someone was the same Pakistani boy who had helped her before and whom she had insulted badly in the game room... Yet he proved his kindness to her.

Why did he fight for us?
An enigma she couldn't solve.

She didn't realize when she walked to the small cupboard at the corner and started rummaging through the stuff inside. Her hands finally found the feminine ornate bag he had given in library which she had dumped in the cupboard after the fight. She never found the urge to use it. Seeing it now had built the same level of urge in her to pull it out... and she did.

"I helped you thinking a girl from my country would be different than others... But you've just proved me wrong.."

"You all girls are the same.. SELFISH . AND . IDIOT."