08. On The Wrong Track

********

********

"Welldone kid! I'm proud that you've started displaying your skills in university too. At least you never disappoint me here." Tariq lauded as he eyed the certificate clutched between his fingers with adoration.

"I don't disappoint in many things if noticed." Iyaad murmured from where he was standing in front of the table, with his eyes at his sneaker tapping the floor.

It had been two days since the exhibition and as Tariq returned from his another business trip, Iyaad found it inevitable to display his success as he would always do since childhood. It would always be his high chance to prove his splendor to Tariq in their illogical cold war.

"So pretty boy, what would you owe for an accolade?" Tariq offered, gracefully sliding the certificate aside on his desk.

The tapping of the shoe ceased and Iyaad felt a bit perplexed at Tariq's beatific mood when he remembered Zaima telling him about Tariq's success in the meeting of the trip.

Oh! so that's why he's throwing unwonted smiles at me today!

A cryptic idea landed in Iyaad's head and he decided to take the best chance of it.

"Mobile." The answer was brief and delivered after seconds. He clearly didn't want to display his dire urgency for it.

Tariq eyed him thoughtfully.

"Hmm.. but isn't it ironic of you demanding of something you already have? Don't you want anything grand this time?" Tariq inquired more like reminding him of his habit.

It was true Iyaad would always take such chances to demand something expensive and mostly belonging to sports category but.. his luck had limited him to mobile now which was his excruciating need at the moment for the oncoming exams.

"No. I don't admire grand things everytime.. and besides, my iPhone's already a year old and also gone-" Iyaad instantly halted when he realized what was emerging out of his mouth.

Tariq's ears heard the last part and sudden switch of expression anyways, and curiosity got the best of him.

"Gone?" He asked seriously and Iyaad realized he couldn't back off so thus,

A cover answer was all feasible.

"It's broken." He replied calmly as if talking about a strand of hair.

"Broken or you broke it?" Tariq emphasized on 'you' in accusing manner and Iyaad could discern he was indirectly taunting about the previous month's simulator incident.

Neither of them... I lost it in gambling!
His mind screamed the truth which he wouldn't ever let his parents know.

Iyaad sighed with the expression of an innocent criminal who was accused of nothing.