14. A Dice With Death

********

********

The uproarious rumble of the clouds was ceaselessly alarming a heavy downpour on the city. The main street of Houston Downtown was a vibrant venue always thronged with citizens on the roads, markets, pavements, restaurants etc. However, the zest of liveliness was absent on the streets tonight, building an enigma for the two girls who had been exploring the empty streets since 30 minutes to spot any operating mart for purchasing stuff.

The ambience was hushed but the clamor emerging from distant streets were audible enough to be comprehended of a protest taking place in the city. With the closed umbrella hanging in Ayzel's hand, they could see numerous police cars scattered along the roads, fully armed and alert for the tension.

"I think we should head back to hostel now. The situation doesn't look safe here." Huda suggested the third time, looking around a bit tensed when another thunder roared above terrifying her some more.

"Wait, it's necessary we ask from someone the reason first..." Ayzel began marching to one of the police cars for inspection. Her mood had turned sour on the loss of traveling.

Huda wanted to refrain Ayzel but nevertheless, followed behind her. The officer seemed busy over some call.

"Excuse me, why are all the shops closed tonight?" Ayzel asked politely to which, he gestured her to wait. As his mobile was lowered, Ayzel repeated her question.

"Well, young lady if you've got fine ears then you should hear the vociferation for the blacks of the country. Are you here to join that?" He asked, examining Huda up and down suspiciously.

"No, we were just wandering for the markets." Ayzel excused when the officer spoke.

"Then I'll suggest you head back to your places or shop somewhere else. The night's critical here." His tone alone was enough to measure the tension in the atmosphere.

"Ok."

They whirled around, crossing the street with quick steps. Drops of rain had started showering the city as if attempting to calm the protestants.

"I don't know why these people love protesting so much. Let's take a shortcut this way." Ayzel pointed towards a street which led to the metro station.

Chatting tranquilly, they were halfway through the vacant street when out of the blue, a black jeep drifted past them earlier than coming to halt in front of them with a direful screech. Ayzel and Huda froze in place.

The doors flung open with four boys alighting down except the driver. Their visages were covered behind masks but when the one exiting the passenger seat pulled the mask down his phiz to reveal his vile smirk, both the girls fell out of their skin on recognizing him...

Cade Hudson.

"Well, that's gonna be the best entertainment for tonight."

**