019. junkyard encounters

ೃ༄ now playing

ೃ༄ now playing...

― episode seven;
JUNKYARD ENCOUNTERS

0:00 |───────── 16:52
▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 100 %

4013 words

━━

*.✧ 𝐁𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐄 ✧.*

Upon realizing that Dart had escaped, Dustin had begun cussing profusely and pacing around. Steve started yelling at Dustin like it was somehow his fault, and I had to talk both of them down from their panic.

I convinced them that we needed to remain calm and focus on finding the creature, and this distracted them both. We left the cellar, but not before I grabbed a bow and a quiver full of arrows, just in the case I would need a weapon.

I used to take archery classes when I was in middle school, and I figured that I'd be better at handling a bow than a gun if we needed to defend ourselves against Dart.

Dustin told Steve and I about a plan that he had come up with rather quickly. He suggested that we lure Dart to a junkyard and then kill him there, reminding us that fire is a demogorgon's weakness and if we could somehow light him up, Dart would be done for.

I thought this was a good idea, and Dustin didn't really care about Steve's approval, so we started working on the plan. Dustin radioed Lucas on his walkie talkie to let him know what was going on.

Going inside his house, Dustin and I grabbed some raw steak, chopping it up while Steve collected buckets to carry the bait in. Then, we left, taking Steve's car to the community park, getting out and starting the walk down the railroad tracks towards the junkyard.

As we walked, we spread the chunks of meat, hoping that this would tempt Dart enough and he would follow the trail right into our trap.

I was walking in front of the boys, not wanting to hear them talk as they discussed girls and "sexual electricity." A conversation I wanted no part of.

Despite being weirded out by Steve's choice of words, I couldn't help but think of Ashley. The way that the air around us was buzzing and my skin felt like it was on fire whenever we were together. The way that my lips hovered over hers that night at the party, and she didn't pull away.

Maybe she liked me back? This seems improbable.

I allowed my eyes to wander along with my thoughts, and that's when I spotted a tree with a blackened base and rotting roots. I stepped off the tracks, walking over to it to get a better look.

The scorched bark appeared to be melting off of the tree, turning to goo and oozing down onto the forest floor.

I got onto my knees and slowly reached out my hand towards the tree, my fingertips coming within an inch of the melted substance.