023. close the gate

ೃ༄ now playing

ೃ༄ now playing...

― season two, episode eleven;
CLOSE THE GATE

0:00 ───|────── 17:25
▁ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ █ 100 %

  2320 words

━━

Back in the shed, Mom, Jonathan, Mike and I had all been sharing any story about Will that we could think of. Jonathan had even brought out his boombox and started playing Should I Stay or Should I Go? while we all talked.

Jonathan told Will the story of the first time they listened to that song together.

Mike retold one of his favorite D&D campaigns, one where Will had saved the whole party.

I held up some movie tickets and reminded Will about the time that he snuck into the wrong theater to watch a scary movie, but he told on himself because he felt so guilty. He couldn't sleep for a week after that, and Mom didn't let him sleep with her because she was mad at him for what he had done. So, he had slept on my bedroom floor in a sleeping bag. He even made me keep the lights on for the whole week, the little shit.

Mom talked about how Will gave up one of his toys to a crying girl at the park, knowing that we couldn't afford a new one.

As our stories were told, Will was tapping out messages in morse code on the side of his chair. Mike used the walkie talkie, clicking the speaker on and off to repeat the dots and dashes back to Dustin and the people inside and they were writing the letters down.

Mom had just finished her story when all of sudden, we could hear the phone ring from inside. All of us whipped around in the direction that the noise came from. It went off a couple times and I felt my chest tighten with panic.

We all slowly turned back to Will, who had his eyes closed and eyelids fluttering.

"Hey, can you hear me?" Mom shook his leg, getting no reply or even an acknowledgment from him.

"Shit, it knows where we are!" I gasped.

Mom scrambled into action, snatching the pre-filled needle and shoving it into Will's arm, injecting him with the sedative from the hospital. He went limp almost instantly, falling right asleep.

Hopper ran outside, and Mike and I followed him. We listened closely, and my heart skipped a beat when the loud growling of Demo-dogs could be heard off in the distance.

"They're coming!" I yelled, the three of us running back into the shed. We all hurriedly untied Will, Hopper carrying him out the door. I was the last one out, staying back to turn off the lights. We ran inside and slammed the back door, locking it behind us.