|18|

a few days later,
Manhattan, NYC, NY
New York Courthouse
___________________________

"Are you sure you don't want me there?" Ryojin asked in Korean with a calm voice as Daehyun shouted in the background.

Landon sighed and shook his head, "I'm sure, I'll be fine. My dads are here."
Ryojin clicked his tongue against the roof of his mouth but didn't argue any further.

Landon looked up from the ground to see Ace motioning for him to come into the court room.

"Hyung, I have to go. Tell Hyun-ah I love him, I'll see you in a few hours." Landon quickly said goodbye, slipped that nickname in there hoping Ryojin didn't catch it.

Before Ryojin could respond, Landon said "I love you" and hung up the phone; silencing it as he entered the court room.

He sat down on the Plaintiff side of the room beside Ace and Ash, Light wasn't present because he was in a parent-teacher conference for Leah.

The courtroom was silent for a few seconds and then the large, heavy doors opened again and in walked the Defendant.

Landon caught the smallest glimpse of Jake Miller's face and instantly shut his eyes tight, just breathe just breathe just breathe.

Ace held Landon's hand and whispered something in Russian, a lullaby he used to sing when Landon was a kid.

Jake sat on the other side of the courtroom with his lawyers who were adamant about defending him.

The judge finally arrived and the case began, Alvarez standing to start first.

After Alvarez stated his version of the case, Miller's lawyers stood and revised almost the entire thing.

From "They got into an argument about my client being unprofessional and then the defendant assaulted him" to "They got into an argument about their feelings for each other and then the plaintiff initiated sexual intercourse."

Little by little, somehow Landon's own attack story became warped in front of his own eyes and he could feel himself start to question what might've happened.

Until the evidence came out, a projector was brought in and the security footage of that day was played in front of the judge, jury, both parties and the bailiff.

Landon felt sick when the tape started, two povs; one from the front of the door where you could only see him bent over the desk with Jake behind him.

And the other, faced right towards the desk so you could clearly see Landon's face. His head slightly bleeding as it laid on the desk, tears running down his face as his mouth opened into a yell.

"Please! S-someone help.... please!"

Jake reaching forward and pushing his head back down onto the desk once again, holding Landon's hands securely to his back and tied with his belt.

"Let me go! Please let me go!"

Somehow, those pleading, begging, broken words were seen as a sign of consent from the other party in the courtroom.

Landon was doing all he could from breaking down, his entire body felt hot and sweaty and tears were bubbling in his eyes.

Ace looked down at Landon after feeling the young man squeeze his hand tightly and pull on his arm like a helpless child.

The blond realized the reaction was most likely due to the video and quickly got their lawyer's attention to the matter.

Alvarez stood up and gestured to the projector, "Your Honor, please." he motioned to Landon, who was still crying silently as he hid his face from the jury by burying it in the table.

The judge nodded to the bailiff and the projector was turned off, "Alvarez, do we need to take a recess?" she asked in a stern but compassionate voice.

Alvarez looked over at Landon but he shook his head, "I want this over with." he said in a low voice so only his table could hear it.

"No, Your Honor. We're able to continue, as long as we could leave the projector off as much as possible?"

The judge agreed with a nod before signaling for the Defendants to make their arguments once again.

A few hours and almost one more breakdown later, the case was over and everyone could finally go home.

The Judge had ruled Landon would get his restraining order and it would be for 200 feet, at all times, for the next year.

"Lanka, do you want to get lunch?" Ace asked, holding Landon by the shoulders as they walked to where Ash had parked his car.

Landon shook his head, "No, I'm not hungry. I just- can you drive me to Ryojin's?" he asked, looking over at his father.

Ash nodded, "Of course. C'mon, let's go." the tattooed murderer unlocked the car doors and held open the passenger side for his husband.

"Landon!" Alvarez called right before the 20-year-old disappeared into the back of the car, "There was one more thing."

"What is it?" Landon asked with a frown, climbing out of the car and stepping closer to his lawyer.

Alvarez motioned for Landon to follow him and made his way back to the courthouse, "As you know, Miller's lawyers have been pressing the point of view that maybe this was consensual."

"It wasn't." Landon stated firmly, following Alvarez to the back of the courthouse.

"Yes, I know. But even though they've been adamant about proving it was, turns out after this they're dropping his case." the lawyer said calmly but with the smallest hint of excitement laced in his voice.

Landon's eyes went wide, "Seriously? Why?"
Alvarez shrugged, "Who knows. But I didn't want to say this in front of Mr. Laurier because frankly, he scares me." he admitted almost sheepishly.

If Landon wasn't in a shitty mood he would've laughed, "He scares everyone, I don't blame you. Thank you for telling me this Alvarez, I'll see you later." Landon moved to walk away.

Alvarez held up his hand in a motionless wave, "Stay safe Landon, see you."

Landon bowed goodbye and turned to walk away. And then....

BANG!

Vote and Comment!