|29|

New Rochelle
Daehan's Mexican Grill
______________________________

"I didn't even ask, is today something important?" Landon asked as Ryojin flipped through the menu, picking the entrée for both of them since Landon left the choice up to him.

Ryojin looked up at Landon through his long brown eyelashes, "Does it have to be an occasion for me to take my ... on a date?" he replied, using the same Korean word Mi Kyong had used.

Landon shook his head, "No sir." he answered, chewing the inside of his cheek in an attempt to coax himself into asking the question he'd been wondering this whole time.

"Cookie," Ryojin called, reaching over and placing his hand on top of Landon's, "you're panicking, what's the matter?" he asked in a stern tone that told Landon he couldn't deny his way out of it.

"Um," Landon tapped his leg under the table, "that word Mi Kyong said earlier, the word you said just now- what does it mean?" he asked nervously.

No matter how much Ryojin told him he loved him, Landon couldn't help but be afraid to disappoint the older man.

Ryojin furrowed his eyebrows, clearly trying to remember what word Landon was thinking of.

"....Do you mean yaghonja?" Ryojin said after a few seconds, setting down the menu after figuring out what to order.

Landon nodded, "Yeah, what does it mean? I know it's Korean but I can't figure out what the translation is."

Ryojin smirked softly, "I doubt you would've thought to learn that word. Yaghonja* means fiancé." he replied almost cheekily.

*(Yaghonja is the male version [fiancé] instead of female [fiancée] idk why there's two different ones😭😭 anystays, it's 약혼자)

Landon's eyes went wide as he felt his heart go heavier, "Y-you told Mi Kyong I was your fiancé?" he asked, feeling like it was harder to breathe.

Ryojin shook his head, "No, this bracelet," he reached to touch the black bracelet on Landon's wrist which he also had one of, "the one my mother makes is a symbolism of marriage in my family."

Is that why he asked me to move in right after he gave me this... "I-...your mom wants us to get married?"

Ryojin smiled, "You don't have to panic Cookie, I'm not proposing right now." he gave a reassuring nod, before kissing Landon's hand.

Oh thank god, Landon breathed a sigh of relief as the waiter came over to take their order.

As Ryojin was ordering, Landon's phone ringed.
It's Megan...why would she be calling me right now? Landon wondered, looking at Ryojin to wait for permission to excuse himself.

Ryojin nodded his approval and Landon got up from the table to step out of the restaurant, answering the phone call at the same time.

"Megan? What's going on?" Landon asked, biting his nails as he swayed back and forth on the sidewalk outside the restaurant.

Megan was Landon's new assistant, the replacement for Jake Miller. As well as being the Director of Kyoto Division*, "Mr. Laurier, I'm sorry to contact you while you're on your break but something urgent is going on in Stockholm."

*(Kyoto is a city in Japan, it's also where my family is from!)

Landon frowned, "What do you mean? What's happening?" he asked, chewing his bottom lip nervously.

"Um, well, according to Director Fose, students have started refusing to go to classes and teachers are on a strike." she replied in her soft, Spanish accent.

The news came as a surprise and Landon knew instantly he would have to go out there to solve the situation, which he dreaded immediately.

"How long has this been going on for?" he asked, putting Megan on speaker as he texted for a taxi to his location.

The timid lady answer quickly, "F-for about a week. I know I should've called you sooner but, I d-didn't want to disturb you so I had Mr. Oliveria travel out there...b-but he hasn't been responding to any of my calls."

Mr. Oliveria was Richard Oliveria, the other half of the Liegth family. Landon's grandmother, Olivia, was apart of the Oliveria family. Richard was Landon's older cousin.

"Well, it's not really unlike Rich to not reply to calls. I'm on my way there, did you contact Jonah?" Landon asked, refering to his second pilot which would be needed to fly to Sweden.

"Yes Mr. Laurier, I've already called him and the plane is waiting on standby in the hangar." Megan replied in her soft voice.

Landon sighed, "Alright, I'll see you out there tomorrow. Try to get ahold of Rich, and if you can't call his wife."

"Yes Mr. Laurier, goodbye." Megan said before hanging up the phone.

Landon shoved his phone into his pocket after getting confirmation for his taxi, "Fuck," he muttered under his breath before going back into the restaurant.

Ryojin smiled when he saw Landon walk back up to the table.
"Sir, I'm so sorry. There's an emergency at one of the schools, I have to fly out to Sweden." the blond quickly apologized.

"I can't stay any longer, I'm sorry." Landon shook his head sadly.
Ryojin's smile dropped and he looked down at the table before standing up.

He grabbed Landon's hand and pulled the shorter man into a hug, "Don't apologize, it's okay. You can go." Ryojin whispered before kissing Landon's forehead.

The words reminded Landon of when his pet hamster was dying when he was 8 and had to bury the small animal.

Tears stung Landon's eyes as he realized how hurt Ryojin must have been feeling, "Do you want me to get the bill? Or I can-"

Ryojin tapped his lips twice, "It's okay. Just go, I'll be waiting for you when you get back." he said with a smirk before softly kissing Landon.

"Y-yes sir. I love you." Landon replied as the food arrived and his phone binged to let him know the taxi was outside.

"I love you more, be safe." Ryojin smiled softly but Landon could tell he was disappointed and that broke the young man's heart.

As the taxi drove Landon to New Jersey, the young blond cried quietly thinking of how this would forever be his life.

Leaving in the middle of important moments was something Light did for years, and Landon grew to hate him for it.

And now Landon realized, Daehyun's gonna grow up the exact same way I did... and he hated that.

Vote and Comment!
bc I wonder, have I been using past tense more often in this book than the other two?