AN INTOXICATING SCENT

Ten minutes prior, down in the basement...

"AYEK!!" Flames of pain shot through his fairly intact arm when it finally, after two days, broke free from the wall and his blood began to flow again. They had loosened his broken arm a moment before and now he hung like a rag doll in the arms of Rhán and Varsa.

The pain grew more and more intense and the whistles in front of his eyes began to get louder and faster. Gh'ara felt herself slowly slipping away again...

"GH'ARA! DON'T HAVE THE GUTS TO CLOSE YOUR EYES!!" Gh'ara's head shot up by the sound of Rhán's roaring voice.

"AYÈK KÈH, ROH'KADI!! I'm not deaf!" Rhán grinned at the man's annoyed snarl.

"No, not deaf, but you're starting to look almost as pretty as me, eyseah! But take it from me when I say that it's wise not to wink at your wife anymore, 'cause if you're going to do this with your good eye, you won't see a shit anymore!" And he grinned devilish.

"Well it helps that you both are missing an eye, at least this way the both of you have one set of good eyes..." Varsa's dry remark made both men look at him with a raised eyebrow.

"... well, isn't it? ...But..., do you smell that too?" Varsa threw his head back and inhaled deeply.

"That nice smell... don't tell me you can't smell it?" The two men looked at him in surprise.

What was he talking about? The only smell Gh'ara smelled was the smell of blood, sweat and smoke.

Rhán shook his head and signaled Varsa to lift Rhán a little higher so they could place him on one of the tables in the room until they found a stretcher. At that very moment, his wrist gauntlet went off.

Although his hearing was lousy and he couldn't organize his thoughts properly, Gh'ara still got parts of the conversation.

"Gh'ara, I'm sorry but I have to..." But he was stopped by Gh'ara.

"I don't need a nanny! You're the new Tároc, Rhán, and those guys need you more than I do... just go!"

Rhán looked at the badly injured man, and put a hand on his shoulder. "Don't you have the nerve to die in my absence, Gh'ara! I'm want to kick your ass myself!"

Before Gh'ara could answer, a familiar smell met him, and he turned his head as far as possible towards the door.

He saw Kayla's small figure in the doorway and his heart skipped a beat. She was safe!

"Bunny..."

Kayla's eyes found his and she cautiously approached him. Gh'ara saw how she run her eyes over his battered body and her face twisted at the sight of the huge wounds and bones poking through his skin. Tears welled up in her eyes, and when she finally found his eyes again, tears began to stream down her cheeks.

"Stop crying bunny! I'm not dead yet!" He muttered. To his surprise, she ducked her head into his neck and started to sob.

"Shut up motherfucker!" Kayla felt both relief and horror when she saw Gh'ara's broken body lying on the table.

Bones protruded from his arms and lower legs and it was obvious that he had several broken ribs, but she broke when she became aware of the claws being pulled from his fingers, his nearly toothless mouth and his ashgrey skin.

"Hey, don't worry my mouth will fill up soon enough with new teeth and those claws will grow back..." His voice was lisping and slow, and whit a lot of effort he managed to put his hand on her head and stroke her soft hair.