THE WORST KIND OF NIGHTMARE

With all his might Gh'ara tried to break free from the chains that held him against the wall and he howled with anger, pain and powerlessness. Furious, he looked up at the man standing in front of him, smiling. "Didn't I say I'd beg you to end your life? But because of your stubbornness, your sweet eyseah can take your place...and she doesn't even have to beg me!" And he started laughing again.

Gh'ara watched as Latarji leisurely grabbed a knife from his chest strap and thrust it against Kayla's throat, cutting her throat agonizingly slowly. Her breathing was raspy, and the sight of her frightened look made him feel cold with fear.

Unable to help her, he howled in grief.

"GH'ARA! GH'ARA! Wake up! Gh'ara honey wake up!"

Although his wounds had been treated, his body was so badly damaged and he had suffered internal bleeding that his situation had slowly worsened during the night. So much so, that they had no choice but to take one of Rhan's other men out of one of the med pods to put him in.

As difficult as it was for Rhan to choose Gh'ara over one of his own men, the future of the clans depended on it and Gh'ara's survival was important to the stability of the new clan they had to build here together. For although Latarji had killed many of Gh'ara's men, those who survived would give their lives for their Ikat and would not just follow Rhan. This also applied to those who had served under Latarji. Most of Latarji's old warriors, not his personal guard, these men had fought their to death, surrendered soon after the takeover and Rhan expected them to follow him, provided Gh'ara survived and became his Ikat.

Along with Kalic, one of Gh'ara's most trusted men, Rhan tried to restrain an enraged Gh'ara. Just before that, the man had suddenly gone completely wild for no reason.

Rhan looked into Gh'ara's eyes, hoping to get through to him, but it seemed as if he didn't see him and was stuck in a fever dream, well, more like a fever nightmare given the man's furious reaction.

It took him a hard time to hold the man because while Gh'ara might be badly wounded, he was incredibly strong and Rhan didn't want to know what was going on in the man's dream at the sight of so much anger. and fear on the face of his new Ikat

"RHAN! What's going on?!" To his relief he saw Kayla, the breeder of Gh'ara, oh no, partner of Gh'ara coming running towards them.

"I don't know, but he pulled out his breathing tube and all the IVs! It's like he's stuck in a dream! OOOFF!!" One of Gh'ara's feet hit him full in the stomach and he pressed the man's leg back onto the bed with one knee.

To his horror, the woman darted around them and took Gh'ara's face in both her hands without realizing that her man could easily use his horns against her as well, as he was in severe delirium.

"GH'ARA! GH'ARA! Wake up! Gh'ara honey wake up!"

The last two weeks had been an increadible rollarcoaster, especially when it came to feelings. Her feelings toward the man laying in front of her, looking straight trhough her with his feverish eyes, had changed overnight from sheer fear to..., somekind of love...

"Please look at me, Gh'ara!"

How was this possible? She kept on calling his name, even though Latarji had slith her throat... she kept on calling him...

Gradually his surrounings started to change and Kayla's face almost seemed to get closer... Strange sounds like the beeping of medical equipment, the grunting of men, running feet and frantic whispers slowly started to get through to him. Kayla's features became more and more clear to him and he realised her throat wasn't cut, and he blinked his eyes and with his one good eye he roamed her face, which was pale and full with tear streaks.

The pressure on his arms seemed to ease and he immediately took advantage of that opportunity and grabbed his eyséah and pulled her tight, trying desperately to get up.

The adrenaline rushed through his body and he bared the last few teeth that had survived the beating. Whoever captured them would fight to the death for the little woman in his arms.

Next to him he heard someone calling his name over and over again and because he couldn't see anything with his left eye, Gh'ara was forced to turn his head far to the right.

The man standing next to him looked vaguely familiar and although his head was still hazy, he knew that this man was not Latarji or any of his men.

"GH'ARA! GH'ARA LISTEN TO ME! NOBODY WILL DO ANYTHING KAYLA! LET HER LET GO! YOU'RE HURTING HER!"

But his head pounded too hard to think properly and he snarled at the man. He would never let her go, no one would hurt her again!

Suddenly he felt a soft hand against his cheek and he looked down into Kayla's large tearful eyes.

"You can let go of me, Gh'ara, no one will hurt you anymore." Her voice sounded cramped from being smothered by his bulging muscles.

"Gh'ara..." A hand was placed on his shoulder and with a fiery look he turned back to the man next to him. Slowly memories began to seep into him and the strange man next to him turned into an old acquaintance.

"Rhan?"

A smile crossed the face of the giant standing next to him. "You'd think you'd recognize that 'ugly' face of mine..."

"What happened?" Carefully, Gh'ara lay back, his arms still fairly tight around Kayla, unintentionally pulling her along, forcing her to lie on his chest.

"I don't know, you tell me... One minute you were unconscious in med pod, the next you went completely beserk..."

Gh'ara lowered his head a little and looked at his female's face. A shiver ran down his spine at the memory of that dreadfull nightmare. "It doesn't matter... Let's just say I'm glad it wasn't real." Though his whole body ached and the weight of her body made it uncomfortable for his broken and bruised ribs, he wasn't about to let go of Kayla and grabbed her even tighter. "...It wasn't real..." and closed his eyes.