Chapter 2

I mean yes... Mike was... attractive. Sure. I'll give him that. Perhaps it was the music that made him that way. It was like hearing a symphony on tape.

     "BUT REPLACE ME?" I couldn't help but blurt out while gripping tighter onto the bus pole and huffing. "HE'S NOTHING BUT AN UPPITY JERK!"

     Robin's eyebrows started to furrow as she sighed along with me. "Yeah...I can't believe he would say that... and to your face... I guess he's just not a people person."

     "Well...not to my face...I was eavesdropping...but come on! This is High School! Not some life or death of instruments! Who cares?!" I started to wave my free hand in the air. "Like who does he even think he is?"

      Robin sighed before leaning in closer to me with an awkward smile. "I hear he's from an even more prestigious school in Indianapolis. I bet he got his attitude from there. It's way more fancy. I mean...compared to there, Hawkins is a dump."

     I honestly felt confused at the statement. If that was true...why settle for the second best? Why did he even change schools? I wish he had just...stayed where he was. Band was amazing...the only con being...well...him.

     "He probably did...I just don't understand how Mrs. K even deals with it! I mean he's borderline on the lines of suspension with every comment he makes to her. Any other class he'd be out of there."

     As a seat became available, Robin hurried and threw her body onto it before looking up at me. "You ever think that maybe she knows the kid?"

     I never...thought about that. But it wouldn't be possible. If he was from Indianapolis there wasn't a chance. From all of the school pictures on the walls, she's been teaching in Hawkins for years.

    "No...she might just have a soft spot due to him being such an amazing player." I sighed before sitting next to her.

     Robin slowly nodded before looking down at her phone and scrolling through her timeline.

     It felt weird to look over her shoulder at her feed, but I currently didn't have a cellphone. The only way that I would be able to afford one is if I got a side job. Mom already worked two to support us. There was no way I was going to ask her to do another for a phone.

     Robin paused her scrolling before looking up at me. "Are you sure you even want to be in this type of club? You don't have to just keep dealing with this guy. He sounds like a serious douche. There's so many more options..."

     I quickly shook my head. "You don't understand! Band is gonna be my thing, Rob! From now on everyone will know me as 'The King of Band'" I put my hands out in front of me with every word like they were put in lights.

    Robin let out a sigh before shaking her head. "Dude...art is already your thing! You're amazing at it! I mean come on, remember that family portrait you made for your submission? You made your mom cry with how good it was!"

     She was right. Mom even hung it up on the wall once I got it back from submissions. But I...wanted a change. I'd always do art. It would always be a part of me. But band...felt like the next step.

     "Yeah...but I just...feel it in my bones that I'm supposed to be there. Even with that 'douchebag'"

     The bus slowly came to a stop in front of the school. Me and Robin parted ways down different ends of the hall due to being in different grades.

    I started to hear a familiar voice coming from down the hall. They sounded pretty desperate.

    "If you have good ears, a good sense of rhythm, or any experience with an instrument...please consider band!"

    God...it was Mike. Already trying to find my replacement...Robin was right. He was a douchebag.

     The girl awkwardly rubbed the back of her neck as she looked up at him with an uncomfortable smile. "I do violin after school..."

      Mike's face lit up as he lifted his hands with a bright smile. "That's perfect!"

     "But like...what's the point?" She slowly lowered her hand from her neck to grab onto her books tighter. "No offense, but you go on a lot about how our band sucks...why would I join it..?"

     Mike's face soon turned pale. He knew she was right. He talked absolute smack against the band in every class that he was in.

      He sighed and walked away from the poor girl before he could say anything else. He knew he was a pessimistic asshole who would just make things worse.

     I felt the corners of my mouth accidentally start to pull up. Good thing he was catching on.

     I slowly opened the door to get into the band room. It was a good 30 minutes that I could try and figure out this old thing... should I name it?

     No no that's besides the point. I should really just start to practice to get better. I needed to get to Mike's so called "level". I needed to prove to him that I was worthy of staying. Maybe then he would start to respect me.

    Yeah... I'll show him. I'm going to be the best trumpet player this band has ever seen!

     I yank out a chair and music stand from the side of the room and place it down. I was going to get this. There was no way I couldn't get this.

    I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Maybe it had to come from the soul. I'm going to put my soul into this.

     I slowly brought my lips to the reed and blew.

     TOOT

     It wasn't even the sound of the instrument. It was just me blowing into it.

    "WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?" I hit my head on the music stand in front of me to lay my head down.

    This is bad... at this rate if I can't get it together fast enough...that jerk is going to win and be right about me.

      There was a small click of the door as I saw the silhouette of someone grabbing something from the instrument cubby. I didn't care. I just wanted to rot in my seat.

     Suddenly there was a kick to my chair. As I looked up I saw an unsavory face...what a coincidence. I was just thinking about this prick.

     "You call that practicing?"

     I felt anger arise from within me. I couldn't do this anymore. I needed to speak my mind.