Chapter 27

As I finally was able to calm myself down, I saw that there were still some people remaining. I knew that Mike would stay, due to wanting to practice for the solo in the newer piece...but seeing the rest of the people...such as Steve, Eddie....and Will... led to be quite discouraging.

   When Mike's eyes met mine, he sent me a caring smile before waving me over to join the rest of the group. They all seemed to be in their own worlds practicing their various instruments. Even Will with Robin...but it annoyed me that he was even here to begin with. If he wasn't planning on pursuing then why waste his time and mine with concerns?

  As soon as I took a seat next to him, he started back onto the newer homework assignment. He was simply relentless. Even after I pointed out the fact that Will should be done soon, his mindset was still focused dead set on Will's improvement. His dedication...his craft... I couldn't help but stare at him...but it felt like someone was staring at me as well.

  My eyes wandered to meet the target of the girl that had tried to help me during the concert. Max I believe. I shared a cabin with her during this trip...yet she hasn't spoken a single word to me yet. I sent her a simple wave to acknowledge her presence, making her face light up like a firetruck in embarrassment for staring. "Sorry...I uh...have to ask Mrs. K a question....bye..." The red head slouched before running over to the currently seated Mrs. K in the corner.

  I shook my head and refocused on where I was wanting to look at the target of importance. When Mike's eyes met mine once more... I let something slip out of my mouth that I didn't intend on asking. "Why do you care for Will so much?" I quickly gasped before covering my mouth with my hands. It wasn't my place to ask something so personal.

   Mike's face distorted into a look of confusion. If I was put in that position...I don't know if I would have been able to answer...but he did. Fairly easily. "What is that supposed to mean?"

  "Well...earlier. You actively wanted to know what Will was up to. So much so that you even asked his best friend Robin. If it wasn't for me, I'm pretty sure you would've ditched Jazz Band to make sure he was okay"

   "Do you think I have a crush on him or something?" Mike let out an awkward laugh before shaking his head. "He's just my student, Jane. I thought that watching Jazz Band might help him pick up some useful techniques and I didn't wish for him to miss out. Nothing more."

   "Well, you've been helping others too! Jonathan has been asking for your help with the sax and you don't grumble about the little things that he does. You don't rant about him to me everyday."

    "That's because..." Mike's eyes started to wander until they hit the currently sitting Steve. "Because Jonathan has never skipped any classes. He's in great standing as far as I'm concerned. I'm sorry that I annoyed you."

  "That...actually makes a lot of sense" I let out a sigh of relief before grabbing onto his hand. "You could never annoy me. It's just concern."

   If he doesn't like Will...then I can actually confess.

   I...I'll try to confess tonight. No doubt that the conversation would go perfectly with whatever Mrs. K was planning for tonight.

-A FEW HOURS LATER-

  This is the worst place to do a confession...in the history of all confessions. How am I supposed to even...UGH!

   I spent so much time to look cute, I even put on a dress and did my makeup and everything...and the surprise...is roller skating?! How was this even planned? Did the camp coordinator just have this in a closet somewhere? I can't roller skate for the life of me! That and how am I supposed to get him alone if I can't even stand on my own with them on?!

  That and Will...He's already eaten it like...ten times. So instead of Mike being near me...he's near him, trying his best to make sure that he stays up. This isn't how I wanted tonight to go at all. I wanted the surprise to be like a nature walk or something...but here we were...80's music blaring.

   Will is a people magnet. Whenever he's around, so many others come with him. I can't even count them on one hand. Mike used to hate interaction. Loathe it entirely...so why does he make an exception for him? They're just...in the way. It used to just be him and me. Sure, during the summer the others were around but...not like this.

  After what felt like hours, Will started to get ahold of what he was doing, so Eddie, Steve and Will decided to start and goof off by doing a race around the rink. Swerving the people that were in their way around the tape. Will however, wasn't as talented... and took down Mike. Although Will apologized profusely, Mike shrugged it off.

   Will went back to what he was doing, but Mike actually came over to the wall to talk with me. "They're so immature. Honestly, Will doesn't act like this around me at all. I think Steve might just bring out the worst in him." he huffed and turned his head to face me.

   "Why do you deal with it then? You could just stop the lessons...and I don't know...spend more time with me? I mean you never get this frustrated when we're together..." My eyes darted down to Mike's hand and I grabbed onto it tightly. "Let's just...skate. No one else."

   "I..." Mike's eyes strayed down to our fingers that were now intertwined and let out a small laugh "okay..."

   "I'm not that great at it, so if you could hold on tight on the turns I'd appreciate it" I slowly started to glide to gain momentum to push both of us forward.

    "Of course." Mike started up without an ounce of fear and guided the way.

   Once we made it to the center of the rink, it felt perfect. The lights all shining down on us. It was if fate had put this moment in front of me with open arms... "Mike...I need to tell you something"

    "Go on" Mike casually put one of his shoes to a point to stop.

   "I...."

   I felt my throat start to tighten. I can't...let this happen...I...I'm so close...so close to...

  "I...."

   You've planned this! Why are you so...pathetic? Just...just....

  "I...the thing is...I...uh..."

   The water's rising...should I even care? I've already made a fool of myself...might as well go fully in...like the failure I am...right, papa?

   "Jane..." Mike squeezed onto my hand, bringing me back to reality....just like always. He cared...unlike everyone else "You...aren't getting stage fright right now, are you?"

"I guess...in a way" the water was clearing...but at the cost of something that could have been.

"Don't worry about it!" He shone...just like the day we met...he...cared. "You'll make friends!"

Friends...?

"Everyone knows you're shy! So don't worry about it! They understand and are there for you." Mike squeezed on tighter, but instead of reassurance...all I felt was embarrassment.

That's what he talks about with his friends? Not that I'm amazing or that he wishes I were his? But that I'm....shy...do I not mean to him more than a friend?

(A/N: Papa is real in this universe but not like the oooo super power way you'll see no powers no powers!)