Chapter 4

-Mike's perspective-

After her outburst, everyone slowly got back to their seats minus only a select few. Will being one of them.

I took a big sigh as I went for my backpack and slung it on my shoulder. This was useless. No one cares. This was obvious from all of them starting their conversations back up again. How infuriating.

I quickly opened the door and started to walk out into the hall. Everyone knew this was coming. It's been a rumor since before I even started here. I shouldn't be surprised that everyone was taking it pretty well.

"HEY!" A familiar voice yelled out from behind me. They sounded frustrated. "What was that, Mike?"

As I turned around I saw the curly haired girl that I've been burdened with knowing. The one and only.

"Nancy...not now." I sighed before trying to turn around again and continue on my way.

"Yes now!" Nancy yelled back while placing her hands on her hips. "Mom is super upset! How could you just leave her like that!"

My eyes widened as I ran to cover her mouth. "Oh my god Nancy shut up... I can't let anyone know that she's my mom. You know how much respect they would lose for me as a player?"

I felt my palm start to get warm and wet in the center of my palm where her mouth was.

Ew...did she...just...LICK ME?

I threw my hand off of her mouth to wipe it onto my pants with a frown. "Very childish, Nancy."

"God, Mike. I'm sure no one would even CARE that she's our mom. I mean come on...you can't be that embarrassed of being related to us, right?" Nancy slowly lifted an eyebrow with a smile. "I mean come on...Mom's pretty cool."

I shook my head lightly. This was my worst nightmare. Nancy having such a leg up on me. I mean, it's been years since the last time...but this one was way more confidential than the rest. "That doesn't matter. They will think I got my way to the respectable position in band due to being related, and band shouldn't matter for much longer either. It's basically over anyways. No one good wants to join"

Nancy took a deep breath and closed her eyes before pinching the bridge of her nose "You only tried for like, half a day." She slowly turned her head to look back up at me with puppy dog eyes. "come on...you owe at least this to her. She's done so much for you."

I knew she was right. She's always right when it comes to these things. No way I'd ever tell her that. "I know...and I'm trying my best to ya know...get behind this new school. It's just not...Indianapolis, Nance. There, it wouldn't even be an option to shut down."

Her eyebrows furrowed lightly before she slowly nodded. "Yeah...I know that Hawkins isn't as great...it's pretty much a garbage heap compared to your last school...but what about me and Jane? I mean I know we don't measure up to those kids at Procardi.. but I mean... you've heard us play at our recitals. We're pretty...decent. Plus I think me and her are getting pretty good at the flute...don't you think?"

I felt my heart drop. I knew that Jane and Nancy had started just for me and my Mom...why wouldn't I fight for this harder? It's the only thing I have after...losing it all.

"You've got me by your side, Mike. Let's do this together...one more shot, okay?" Her smile beaming. How could she be so happy? We were basically fighting to stay afloat and here she was...cheering me on. Even after I was a huge dick and abandoned our mom to cry on the floor alone.

"Sure..." I awkwardly linked my arm with hers as we headed back to the music door.

    "Any chance that you'll tell the others so I can too?" Nancy lightly hit me with her elbow into my ribs.

    "Yeah, no way in hell. At least, no time soon. You haven't told anyone that me and you are related, right?"

   Nancy grabbed onto the door handle before opening it slowly, making the noise from inside very much so present "I mean, not besides the people that had already known. You know...this last summer."

   "Okay, then you can let people know you are, but not me, okay? Leave me out of this as much as you can."

   Nancy sighed before nodding in agreement.

   My mom wasn't where she was when we both had left. I looked over to Nancy with a questioning look but all I got in return was a shrug before she pulled her flute out.

    It was loud as always. Kids trying to tune their instruments or talking about the latest trend. It was blatant that they didn't care at all about Mrs. K or the band that was currently in jeopardy.

When we got further into the room, I saw Will talking with Mrs. K at her desk. He seemed pretty passionate about whatever it was. He was waving his hands in the air like a madman. "There MUST be something I can do!"

Mrs. K formed a frustrated smile before responding. "Well... the problem is...according to that UPTIGHT VP...is lack of student interest."

Will's face slowly lit up with a wide smile. "So... you're saying we just need more members?"

Mrs. K's face fell before sinking her hands into her palms "That's exactly it, Will."

Will practically started jumping with excitement "Hold my trumpet, Mrs. K!"

He practically threw it into her lap. It was honestly terrible instrument care...

"Don't you worry! I'm going to save band!" He practically ran out of the room with a huge smile.

Mrs K lifted her hands from her palms before her face painted with concern and confusion. "Okay...uh... Good luck then?"

What was this idiot up to?